The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Manager
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Scope of Work
The IRC is implementing a protection program featuring strengthening of community based protection structures, capacity building, protection monitoring, information dissemination and referral services. The IRC will also building capacity of government authorities, local organizations and local communities around protection mainstreaming and protection monitoring. The IRC will also include legal assistance and counselling services.
The protection program is currently implemented in the NE states of Adamawa and Borno.
Reporting to the Protection Coordinator, the Protection Manager will be responsible for overall implementation of protection related activities including design, technical oversight, capacity building and supervision of Protection staff within his/her area of jurisdiction and will ensure that all Protection projects in his/her area of jurisdiction run smoothly by providing technical leadership, supervising, training and mentoring staff, and coordinating the implementation of Protection activities.
The Protection Manager will contribute to the IRC Protection program and proposal development and will play an active role in establishing and managing relationships with local partners, humanitarian actors, state authorities, beneficiaries and local/traditional leaders and contribute to the achievement of the IRC Nigeria vision 2020 goals.
Job Tasks and Responsibilities
Assessment and Program Planning:
- Support Senior Protection Officers, Protection Officers and other Protection staff to plan and conduct protection monitoring activities in all target areas.
- Contribute to the development of Protection sector concepts or proposals as requested.
- Contribute to Protection sector and IRC assessments, ensuring adherence to safety and ethical recommendations.
- Ensure that Protection staff conduct needs assessments to inform program design and strategic direction as well as identify risks and vulnerabilities, including those related to gender, age and diversity.
- Ensure that Protection staff successfully assess protection needs; identify problems/gaps and proposing or prioritize timely practical actions to respond to particular protection problems.
- Lead the compilation and analysis of protection monitoring information and reports for sharing with partners and donors in close coordination with the Reporting and Database Assistants.
Program Management and Activities Implementation:
- Ensure the delivery of Targeted Individual Assistance packages to most vulnerable individuals.
- Support the Capacity Building and Training Officer in the design and development training and IEC materials.
- Contribute to the development of Protection sector specific strategic plan and strategies.
- Develop a strategy for community-based protection, community engagement, information dissemination, capacity building and protection monitoring activities.
- Provide a strategic direction of the Protection program in area of jurisdiction through strategic planning and development of strategic documents.
- Providing oversight of Protection projects in compliance with IRC and donor regulations while upholding project cycle management standards.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements and IRC’s administrative, logistical, and financial procedures.
- Develop and execute work plans, financial forecast, procurement plans and related systems to ensure that project deadlines are met and targets achieved.
- Oversee annual, monthly and weekly implementation plan development, and internal and external reporting, in participation with Protection team members.
- Supervise the delivery of quality protection activities and services within IRC’s areas of intervention and ensure smooth administrative and operational functioning, including oversight for targeted individual assistance, referrals, capacity building etc.
- Create and ensure synergy between the Protection sector and other IRC sectors.
Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning:
- Work with the Reporting and Database Assistant and Coordinate with the M&E team in developing monitoring systems and providing internal and external reports on program activities; for internal learning and appropriate program adjustments due to new opportunities/challenges.
- In coordination with the Protection Coordinator, Reporting and Database Assistant, develop and harmonize monitoring and evaluation tools used by the Protection teams.
- Monitor project/program quality through strengthening data collection, reporting, accountability initiatives and documenting the impact of IRC presence in the field.
Team Management & Capacity Building:
- Recruit, train, and mentor Protection staff including in areas such as protection monitoring, reporting, community based approaches and community mobilization techniques.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and support to the IRC Protection staff through regular supervision and feedback on performance.
- Ensure the roll out of regular staff trainings and refresher sessions to maintain a high standard of capacity among the protection field teams in all areas.
- Set clear objectives for the Protection staff under his/her supervision and do timely performance appraisal.
Coordination & Representation:
- Actively participate in state-level coordination meetings and network with different stakeholders and partners to ensure information sharing, coordination of interventions and enable meaningful intervention.
- Represent the IRC protection program at the Protection Sector Working Group meeting (PSWG) and other relevant coordination forums for protection advocacy.
- Promote relations and coordinate activities with other humanitarian actors, donors, UN, and civil authorities and other key stakeholders at the state level on the provision of protection services for IDPs.
- Take lead in state level advocacy in consultation with the Protection Coordinator and other IRC staff and participate in IRC Nigeria advocacy initiatives.
- Promote improved understanding of protection issues among all relevant stakeholders through information sharing, awareness creation and capacity building initiatives.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure full compliance with IRC and donor financial guidelines and policies.
- Monitor budgets to ensure the timely utilization of all resources, spending is in line with project timelines and implementation schedules and adjust budget forecasts when needed.
- Take lead in developing monthly spending plans and cash projections.
- Ensure that all Protection staff timely liquidate all requested project/program funds.
Procurement and Security:
- Develop procurement plans and coordinate with the Supply Chain team for the delivery of items to the field as per project planning.
- Ensure compliance with the IRC security protocols, SOPs and policies.
- Consider security implications of all program activities, reviewing all new initiatives with Protection staff, IRC Security Officer, other IRC staff and community leaders.
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics among the Protection staff.
- Maintain a clear understanding of IRCs’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
- Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
- Professional background in protection of internally displaced persons and/or refugees, as well as human rights law in general.
- University Degree in Law, Social Sciences, Social Work other relevant field of study or equivalent experience (Bachelor’s Degree as a minimum)
- Demonstrated aptitude in project design, management and implementation
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with different stakeholders
- Coordination and advocacy skills is essential.
- Strong, creative problem-solving skills
- Flexibility to work in a diverse multicultural team with due respect for diverse culture and norms
- Ability and willingness to live and work in an unstable, insecure and challenging environment.
- Ability to draft written protection reports, lead assessments and analyze data.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, to remain flexible to a changing environment, and to make decisions independently
- Strong computer skills require (MS word and excel).
- Minimum of 3 years of protection work or programming experience particularly within the field of IDP protection including responding to identified protection needs.
- Familiarity with standards and guidelines for protection programming and coordination structures.
- Relevant regional (i.e. north eastern Nigeria) experience strongly preferred.
- Proven track-record in understanding International Law and Humanitarian Principles.
- Proven experience with implementation of operations in very insecure environments.
- Experience with protection monitoring, documentation & analysis of protection data, protection.
- Ability to manage teams – especially field teams in a challenging environment
- Strong English language skills, knowledge of the local langue will be an added advantage.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond appropriately to questions from Senior Management team, counterparts, government representatives and others.
- The position will be based in Mubi, Adamawa State. The security situation in Mubi is relatively stable with periodic tensions. All IRC offices are provided with internet facilities and there is reliable mobile telecommunication network in Adamawa.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 12 Months.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 25th February, 2019.
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.