The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching new Business daily and weekly TV programme and innovative digital content alongside existing African business output.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Broadcast Journalist (Digital), BBC Africa
Job Reference: BBC/TP/590126/38833
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
Closing Date: 13 May, 2019
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Job family: Journalism
Additional Job Specific Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- You will be part of the BBC News website’s Africa team, based in Lagos. This team covers Africa through news, features, graphics, photo stories and video. All the team’s content is produced in English for African and global audiences.
- The job involves selecting, researching, writing and editing the best stories using a variety of sources, while ensuring that they adhere to the BBC’s editorial values. This includes rigorous fact-checking and subbing of copy to the highest standards.
- You will also need a thorough understanding of media law. Candidates should enjoy working under pressure and bring plenty of story and production ideas to the role.
- You will work closely alongside the rest of the services based in the BBC offices in Lagos and Abuja. Part of your job will be to ensure that the best of the material from African language services is represented on the BBC’s English language news site.
- You will be expected to work with text, still photos, video and graphics.
- You will also be liaising with teams in London and the rest of the Africa to improve the coverage of African news on the BBC News website.
- Responsible for an area of output, including editorial control, reporting, selection and compilation of material, production, leading teams and planning and implementing effective use of resources.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- To act as a facilitator of change, clearly communicating and sharing best practices are shared between teams.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC Health and Safety policy.
- Responsible for originating and producing stories which may include scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output.
- Commission and select relevant materials ensuring they meet expectations of our audiences and adhere to the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
- As required, to allocate work to a team and check progress; ensure the professional contribution of staff and the quality of output.
- Seek ways to increase diversity in our workforce and to ensure that our output reflects the audiences we serve.
- Deliver journalism of the highest standard and within the required timeframe using available resources.
Knowledge, Skills, Training and Experience
- Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- The flexibility and adaptability to sustain performance, particularly under pressure to meet deadlines and changing priorities and circumstances.
- An understanding of Health & Safety procedures and how it applies to broadcasting.
- A thorough understanding of production methods used in BBC News and the ability to adapt to new media.
- A high standard of editorial judgment, writing ability and production skills based on substantial journalistic experience.
- Exploits opportunities offered by existing and emerging technologies to their fullest extent.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
- Ability to manage resources, staff, technical facilities and budgets, in order to make challenging broadcasting in the most cost effective manner.
- Demonstrates a commitment to improving diversity in the BBC and understands how individual differences can benefit the BBC.
Application Deadline 13th May, 2019.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!