The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and was renamed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in 2002.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Job ID: 22367
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Practice Area – Job Family: HIV and Health – LABORATORY SCIENCE
- The UN Clinic laboratory Technician performs His/her functions under the direct supervision of the Medical Physician In-Charge of the UN dispensary. The UN Clinics operate under the general supervision of UNDP on regards of all administrative matters.
- The technical supervision of the physician and the medical personnel in the field and the
- performance evaluation will be executed by the UN Medical Director or his nominee. In order to ensure that UNDP should granted access to MSD for its performance appraisal report.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Medical Doctor or his/her nominee within delegated authority, the Laboratory Technician will be responsible for the following duties:
- Management of the UN dispensary laboratory to ensure smooth operation of the day-to-day functions;
- Regular maintenance of all laboratory equipment following the technical specifications of the manufacturers of the equipment.
- Fast and efficient resolution of all problems related to laboratory performance:
- Proper reporting of problems to the manufactures’ customer service,
- Assist in organization and implementation of health promotion/monitoring programmes;
- Perform diagnostic and screening laboratory tests using the available equipment and instruments;
- Report in a timely fashion results of tests to the Medical Doctor;
- Ensure that the reports are managed in timely, promptly and confidential manner.
- In close coordination with the national HIV advisor and the Medical Doctor, organized the VCT at the laboratory, following the guidelines of ONISIDA.
- Ensure that the results for the patient using the services of CVT are managed in confidential and timely manner.
- Ensure appropriate disposal of the hazardous material following international standards of bio safety in coordination with the Medical Doctor, Nurse and Pharmacist,
- Proficient communication and coordination with maintenance technician and prompt facilitation of an on-site service if needed;
- Ensure safe handling of bio-hazardous materials in compliance with the international standards and practices;
- Draws blood samples applying international sterilization and bio safety standards.
- Collects and labels urine, stool and sputum samples for different tests following international bio safety standards.
- Perform all laboratory tests as requested by the Medical Doctor in promptly and professional matter
- Autoclave and sterilize the instruments and containers following international standard of bio safety.
- Ensure proper management of reagents stock; Keep an inventory of laboratory supplies and ensures that the supplies are always replenished and adequate.
- Make arrangements for outside laboratory tests for UN staff when required;
- Keep records of all work done in the laboratory and provide statistical report in regard to laboratory activities.
Impact of Results:
- The incumbent analyzes and produces laboratory results with maximum precision leading to reliable results. This will assist in timely diagnosis of ailments.
- The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the UN dispensary.
- Accurate, safe, cost effective and timely execution of the fully documented results strengthens the capacity of the UN Clinic at the duty station, and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor.
Education & Work Experience:
- E-Technical School – 5 year(s) experience, G-Bachelor’s Level Degree – 4 year(s) experience
- Desired: English (Fluency in English)
Required Skills and Experience:
- Excellent communication skills
- Excelent problem solving skills
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Ability to adapt to working with new systems
- Professionalism: Demonstrated competence in laboratory testing and modern laboratory technology. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Planning and Organizing: Effective organizational skills and ability to prioritize and to plan own work.
- Communication: Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
- Client Orientation: Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion. Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients. Responds to client needs promptly.
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Commitment to continuous learning: Initiative and willingness to keep abreast of new skills in the nursing field.
- Technology Awareness: Proficiency in relevant laboratory equipment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements
Application Deadline 15th April, 2019.