Medecins du Monde or Doctors of the World, is an international humanitarian non-profit organization that provides emergency and long-term medical care to vulnerable populations while advocating for equal access to healthcare worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Nurse, Nutrition Technical Advisor
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
- In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developped internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacement of population as well as cholera outbreak)
Support the provision of Nutrition services in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MOH PHCC:
- Assists the Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor to advise the clinic team (specific focus on OTP team) on ensuring the implementation of Nutrition related activities, and appropriate referral mechanisms following guidelines and strategy, through the Health Coordinator.
- Assists the Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor to support the med team, through the HPco, to ensure smooth incorporation of Nutrition component with training and implementation / follow up of internal referral pathway;
- Works closely with the nurse technical advisor to ensure the quality of Outreach Therapeutic Program (nutrition) activities through regular monitoring and technical support of clinic team, data collection and management, and provide guidance in case of difficulties.
- Assists the Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor to identify needs of trainings (focus on nurses, OTP staff, community mobilisers), develop / review Nutrition training packages and ensure formal and on job / informal trainings to address identified gaps in capacity.
Support Nurse Nut Tech Adv to carry out and update a mapping of all actors responding to malnutrition and develop a strong network to foster information exchange and synergies:
- Maintain close collaboration and good rapport with OTP IPs for effective services delivery (service mapping, elimination of duplication, monitoring and maximization of RUTF use).
- Work closely with stabilization care IPs for MdM referrals and management of complicated SAM cases (referrals and counter referrals, transportation, acceptance, bed capacity, ect).
- Assists the Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor actively participate to coordination efforts with Nutrition actors (ex: nutrition cluster).
- Assists the Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor to support and follow-up the community mobilization activities in close collaboration with MdM team as well as other stakeholders (ex: community leaders …)
- In close collaboration with the Community Outreach Supervisor and the IEC Technical Advisors, assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to define the sensitisation strategy and communication mediums (radio, press, posters, leaflets…) and organize trainings for community outreach supervisors and community mobilisers.
- Works closely with the nurse nutrition technical advisor to ensure appropriate treatment protocols are followed at MCs and Health Facilities. This includes correct anthropometrical measurements and follow-up of the MUAC, Weight and Oedema ensuring accurate patient database management, admissions and exit criteria etc is respected.
- With Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor, follow up on RUTF supplies with MdM pharmacy department and NUICEF nutrition specialist/ State Nutrition Officer (monthly request, transportation, MDM storage capacity, and conditions.
Support the quality of nursing care being provided in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MoH PHCC):
- Assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to oversee the quality of the paramedics’ activities: registration, nutritional screening, OTP dispensing dressings, injections, immunization (EPI), health education, etc. ;
- Assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to support teams on the field to develop and implement proper hygiene and asepsis, including waste management;
- Assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to support and monitor triage activities and patient’s flow;
- Assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to participate to the development of IEC tools in close collaboration with Med Tech Advisor and IEC Advisor, under the management of Health Services Quality Co;
- Works closely with the nurse nutrition technical advisor to ensure direct care to patients when necessary
Human resource, capacity building / training:
- Provides on job technical support to clinic staff involved in the provision of nutrition services and supervision of quality of nursing cares in Damboa, Maiduguri and new operational sites.
- Assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to identify the capacity building needs of MdM related to nutrition and nursing cares with support from nurse nutrition technical advisor organize and/or facilitate trainings on the response to Nutrition, in line with MdM training materials available.
- Actively participate in capacity building program activities including coaching/mentoring sessions organized, delivered and recommended by nurse nutrition technical advisor.
Communication & advocacy:
- Assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote MdM operational model for the response to nutrition in humanitarian settings.
- Assists Nurse Nutrition technical advisor to take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors to advocacy activities.
- Assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
Reporting, information management, coordination / representation:
- Assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to make sure the nutrition data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that nutrition data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored;
- Assists the nurse nutrition technical advisor to ensure data collection system exists and is properly implemented for monitoring of nursing care;
- Ensure timely submission of 5Ws and quarterly reporting to Nutrition Sector and State Database.
- Works closely with the Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor to participate to the nutrition cluster meetings and actively contribute to coordination and common reporting efforts.
- If needed, works closely with the Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor to participate to meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in nutrition.
- Contribute to MdM monthly sitrep.
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- Participate in designing MdM’s nutrition assessment surveys, new strategies in close collaboration with the nurse nutrition technical advisor, quality health services coordinator, program coordinator and M&E team.
- Works closely with the nurse nutrition technical advisor to share to Quality Coordinator, Health Coordinator and Program Coordinator any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate to internal MdM meetings (medical, coordination, monthly, extended coordination, BFU/BFF, contingency plan, risk analysis, security, ect. )
- Prepare and submit weekly activity reports and work plans to Nurse Nutrition Technical advisor.
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Hierarchical & Functional links:
- The Deputy Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor is directly under the responsibility of the Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor.
- S/he has technical links with the Nurse Nutrition Technical Advisor
- S/he has functional links with others deputy technical advisors, Health Coordinator and Emergency Response Coordinator and Damboa medical team.
- Nursing Degree;
- At least 2 years of professional experience as Nurse ;
- At least 1 previous experience with an I.NGO is required (with MdM is an asset) ;
- Ability to provide quality training ;
- Relevant qualifications in Emergency Nutrition, IYCF, screening and treatment of Severe Acute Malnutrition is required
- Ability to create tools and monitoring process
- Working Experience in insecure environments is an advantage
- Excellent English is mandatory (oral and written),
Required personal skills:
- Excellent organisational, training and coaching skills is required;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- Capacity to create relationships with the communities, government authorities, INGO and UN agencies.
- Able to prioritize; Be flexible;
- Ability to work under stressful situation;
- Has a good team spirit;
- Able to work and live in specific security context.
Background of the Candidate:
- Sex: Indifferent
- Humanitarian experience: Yes
- Nationality: Nigerian
- Emergency experience:Yes
- Coordination experience:Yes
- French:Added value.
- Excellent excel skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV in one single attachment using the job title and location as subject of the email to: [email protected]
Note: Only candidates who meets the requirements would be contacted for the next phase of the recruitment
Application Deadline 26th April, 2019.