Medecins du Monde or Doctors of the World, is an international humanitarian non-profit organization that provides emergency and long-term medical care to vulnerable populations while advocating for equal access to healthcare worldwide.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Technical Advisor
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main following components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
- In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developped internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacement of population as well as cholera outbreak).
- The Medical Technical Advisor is responsible for overseeing the quality and technical aspects of the Doctors and CHO consultations and other medical activities as needed, through formal and on-the-job training and supervision, and other methods agreed with the Health Services Quality coordinator.
- Ensure direct care to patients when necessary
- Support the referral of medical cases under supervision of the medical supervisor in accordance with the MDM referral guidelines
- Monitor the good use of MDM procedures for management of pharmaceuticals in the field and if necessary disseminate them.
- Monitor the quality of the prescriptions given by the clinic doctors to ensure quality and accuracy, in collaboration with MdM medical team
- Ensure appropriate treatment according to the protocols are followed at MCs and Health Facilities. This includes quality of medical care dispensed.
- All technical training and support have to be based following National guidelines and / or other guidelines suggested by the Health Services Quality coordinator and/or Medical Advisor from HQ.
- Support the provision of medical services in MdM operational sites (MdM clinics, MOH PHCC)
- Oversee the quality of the doctors and CHOs activities: consultation, prescription, diagnosis and data collection through provision of technical support and on-the-job training
- Share recommendations to improve triage activities in the clinic.
- In close collaboration with the Community Outreach Supervisor and the IEC Technical Advisors, contribute to the definition of the sensitisation strategy and communication mediums (radio, press, posters, leaflets…) and organize trainings for community outreach supervisors and community mobilisers.
- On request, participate to health cluste
Human resource, capacity building / training:
- Identify needs of trainings for all healthcare staff, with a focus on Doctors and CHOs, on topics within the realm of Primary Health Care
- Ensure Formal and Informal trainings to the doctors and CHOs to address identified gaps in capacity
- Work in close collaboration with other MdM technical advisors to implement trainings according to technical needs in each medical activity
Communication & Advocacy:
- Participate in the development of external and internal communication tools in order to promote MdM operational model in humanitarian settings.
- Take part, if necessary, with the MdM team, partners or other actors to advocacy activities.
- Participate in the dissemination of MdM’s approach, results and lessons learnt.
Reporting, information management, coordination / representation:
- Make sure the medical data collection system is in place, respect confidentiality and safety and that data collection tools are properly used and indicators monitored
- Share to Health Services Quality Coordinator, Health Coordinator and Program Coordinator any difficulties met in the field and propose solutions or adjustments.
- Participate to internal MdM meetings.
- On request, participate to the health cluster meetings and actively contribute to coordination and common reporting efforts.
- If needed, participate to meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders
- Contribute to MdM monthly sitrep.
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors.
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Hierarchical & Functional links:
- The Medical Technical Advisor is directly under the responsibility of the Health Services Quality Coordinator.
- S/he has technical links with the technical advisors (under the Health Services Quality Coordinator), the Health Coordinator and Emergency Response Coordinator and Damboa medical team
- Medical Doctor (MBBS)
- At least 2 years of professional experience as Medical Doctor;
- Ability to create tools and monitoring process
- Working Experience in insecure environments is an advantage
- Excellent English is mandatory (oral and written)
- At least 1 previous experience with an I.NGO is required (with MdM is an asset);
- Ability to provide quality training;
Required Personal Skills:
- Excellent organisational, training and coaching skills is required;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills;
- Ability to work under stressful situation;
- Has a good team spirit;
- Able to work and live in specific security context.
- Capacity to create relationships with the communities, government authorities, INGO and UN agencies.
- Able to prioritize; Be flexible;
Background of the candidate:
- Emergency experience:Yes
- Coordination experience:Yes
- Humanitarian experience:Yes
- English: Fluent
- Hausa and/or other local languages (ex: Margi or Arabic):Fluent
- French:Added value
- Excellent excel skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV in one single attachment using the job title and location as subject of the email to: [email protected]
Note: Only candidates who meets the requirements would be contacted for the next phase of the recruitment
Application Deadline 26th April, 2019.