The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. IITA is a non-profit organization founded in 1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager for Youth Employment in Agri-business and Sustainable Agriculture ABUAD-IITA-AfricaRice IFAD Project
Location: ABUAD IFAD Project Office, Afe Babalola University Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD), Nigeria.
- The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) together with Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD) and Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) invite applications for the internationally recruited position of Project Manager for Youth Employment in Agri-business and Sustainable Agriculture ABUAD-IITA-AfricaRice IFAD Project.
- The Project Manager for Youth Employment in Agri-business and Sustainable Agriculture ABUAD-IITA-AfricaRice IFAD Project will have the overall managerial responsibility of the project.
The Project Manager will:
- Monitor and evaluate progress towards project milestones.
- Contribute in ensuring effective overall contract management, reporting, communications and relationship management with donor, partners and stakeholders.
- Coordinate organization of planning meetings and training workshops.
- Provide overall project management, help to develop a strong, coherent technical vision and initiate innovative strategies across the project.
- Work together with Project Coordinator IITA and Project Coordinator AfricaRice respectively to coordinate implementation of all the project activities.
- Establish and operate a project management system and supervise program operations, personnel, M&E, and preparation of periodic written reports to IFAD.
- Design and manage interventions that aim to build capacity of youth across different components of the project.
- Identify and manage technological innovations within the project, and disseminate findings through stakeholder meetings (advocacy), print, radio and cell phone-based systems.
- Facilitate internal and external communication.
- The candidate should have PhD in Agriculture-Life Science related fields.
- Excellent and extensive organizational and administrative skills and experience.
- Ability to work well in a multicultural setting.
- Gender awareness.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Fluency in English is required, and a working knowledge of French is a strong advantage.
- The candidate should possess the intellectual leadership and strong management skills necessary to develop, articulate and carry out a vision for the project.
- At least 15 years relevant job experience from international organizations/NGOs/donors, preferably linked to tropical agriculture or international development.
- At least 6 years postdoctoral experience in proposal development, project management, grant management and resource mobilization.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing teams of professionals, administrative, procurement, hiring, recruitment, financial and logistical aspects of project implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to lead the writing and publication of technical documents in relation to the project goals.
- Strong skills in team building and creating synergies between project partners and activities.
- Proven success in work relations with a wide range of partners, including financing institutions, governments, private sector, and other development actors.
The contract will be for a period of three years based on performance and availability of funding. IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in U.S. Dollars.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work)
Click here to apply
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.