World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: National Professional Officer (TUB)
Job ID: 1901838
Contract duration: 12 Months
Contractual Arrangement: Individual service contractor
Purpose of the Post
- To contribute to WHO effort in providing the needed technical support to the Public Health department of the Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria, in TB control.
- The recruited WHO tuberculosis National Professional Officer with an SSA contract for one year will operate from WHO offices in the South East and North West.
- They will work under the direct supervision of the WHO Representative in Nigeria and technical guidance of NPO-TUB NIE. The officers will be part of the TUB team which is within the CND cluster.
The NPO TUB is expected to perform the following duties:
- Support provision of feed-back and dissemination of state TB epidemiological data and reports to key stakeholders
- Facilitate on site data verification and data quality assurance at state and LGA levels.
- Conduct strategic advocacy to States with aim of mobilizing resources for TB/HIV control efforts.
- Facilitate real-time capturing of TB data on paper and electronically (e-TB manager), from both DOTS and non-DOTS health facilities into the NTBLCP systems in the State
- Perform any other TB-specific related duties as required by the NTBLCP, CDS cluster and the WR.
- Provide technical support to the TUB zonal office: Support and mentor the zonal TB officer of the National TB Programme; Reviewing of state annual/quarterly operational plans; Overseeing the conduct of state quarterly review meetings; Facilitation of the quarterly zonal review meetings aimed at collation and submission of programme data to the national TB programme.
- Provide technical support to states to effectively optimize the key thematic areas of TB programme (TB/HIV, PMDT, Childhood TB, PPM, Childhood TB) towards finding the missing TB cases and addressing the TB burden in-country.
- Facilitate implementation of OPD screening interventions in 87 tertiary health institutions and also support the states to expand OPD screening interventions in some selected secondary health facilities
- Provide on the job training/mentoring to state programme teams to enhance their capacity in planning, implementing and monitoring of programme activities.
- Facilitate timely and complete collection, collation, analysis of state TB epidemiological data and timely report to the NTBLCP
- Essential: Degree in Medicine with Masters in Public Health or Epidemiology.
- Essential: At least five years relevant experience in communicable disease in fields of TB and TB/HIV control (planning, implementing, monitoring, managing and supervision of TB control programme and or HIV/AIDS at national, state and district level); Demonstrated Coordination skill; ability to work effectively with colleagues at the national, state and LGA levels; Ability to negotiate and persuade with strong influence.
- Desirable: Relevant experience working in the National TB Programme, UN system, NGO or an international organization.
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: English
- Desirable: Local Language (Hausa and Ibo)
- Technical expertise in public health, epidemiology and disease control particularly Tuberculosis. Ability to analysis data, present results and effective monitor progress.
- Strong communication ability (writing and speaking); ability to develop and maintain strong and lasting working relationship with people at various levels and different nationalities.
- Team work
- Producing results
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences.
- Moving forward in a changing environment.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.