FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Country Director, Nigeria
Requisition – 2018202218
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job type: Full time
- Coordination with all projects present in Nigeria; oversight of all FHI 360 activities. Planning for office size and staffing changes and ensuring best value to clients/donors of shared services.
- Strong candidates will have experience in leadership and management positions for international NGOs with diverse staff including expatriates, multiple in-country locations, and demonstrated ability to motivate and lead a large staff from throughout Nigeria as well as liaise and establish relationships with high-level officials in the Nigerian government, the private sector, and international donor community. National locals only.
- The Country Director will be the Representative for FHI 360 activity at the country level. S/he will be responsible for direct supervision of COPs and Project Directors, as assigned and updated yearly, and the primary point of contact for Business development.
- In coordination with the Security team, ensures duty of care and safety for staff throughout Nigeria, including humanitarian operations in the North East of the country. Coordinates closely with FHI 360 Affiliate, AHNI.
- Manages Country Office (CO) development and implementation process of the company’s services involving departmental or cross-functional teams focused on the delivery of new or existing projects.
- Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the Country Office. Oversees the CO shared services platform. The shared services in Nigeria include the following departments/units: human resources, procurement, contracts management services (CMS), finance, enterprise services (facilities, travels/logistics, storage/warehousing, communication, utilities, etc.), administration, information technology (IT), security and compliance.
- Coordinates a matrixed management approach to capacity building, support and oversight of shared services staff, and program/technical staff in specifically designated projects.
- Provides operational support to global or regional projects with systems, skills and resources to ensure the quality of the country portfolio
- Develops and monitors landscape analysis, strategic plans, proposals, protocols, papers, reports, and budget to achieve project and company goals
- Manages staff with training and operational procedures to achieve strategic goals of the project and the company.
- Ensures talent development and teambuilding
- Establishes, serves and maintains partnerships with internal and external stakeholders on project matters
- Ensures a harmonized enterprise services platform at the country level
- As chief of safety and security for FHI360 operations in the country, ensures security and safety of all FHI360 operations, staff, consultants and related assets in the country.
- Provides direction to the overall leadership and management team in Nigeria, in particular as regards strategic program direction, managed growth and compliance with organization policies and procedures and donor regulations.
- Manages, implements, and monitors systems, services, and staff for shared services, within project budgets to achieve financial, administrative and programmatic goals.
- Provides timely and accurate financial and programmatic reports to company management and donors as required.
- Prepares and monitors approved budgets for shared services and Country managed projects.
- Approves all expenditures relating to G&A budgets.
- Provides technical assistance through review or writing of proposals, protocols, papers, reports to ensure accuracy and appropriateness.
- Recruits, orients and supervises (Department/unit Directors) to support country programs and ensure the completion of technical, programmatic, financial, and resource development needs are met and achieved.
- Provides supportive guidance and supervision to Technical and Program staff, and Managers who are charged to implement programs within the assigned area of expertise.
- Collaborates with Operations and cross functional groups on matters concerning staff development that leverages international staff to mentor local staff, so as to maintain project accountability and scale in the short term and fast track capacity building for the long term.
- Provides leadership, ensures quality and oversees all company operations in the Country
- Manages project portfolio as detailed above
- Responsible for overall vision of Nigeria Portfolio including projects managed by other COPs (SIDHAS, Global Fund, UNICEF, IHANN/OFDA)
- Oversees operation functions of Country Office/sub offices, including within the areas of management, finance, contracts and grants, security, legal and human resources to ensure the office and projects managed within the office are compliant with company policies and procedures.
- Ensures technical oversight and quality assurance for projects in which the Country Director is also designated project Director and/or COP or coordinates with primary technical supervisor within the appropriate sector(s) to ensure this technical oversight and support
- Master’s Degree or its International equivalent in Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education, Environment, Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences International Development, Human Development or related field.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; fluent in host country language.
- Experience operating in challenging environments.
- Experience working in a non-governmental organization (NGO).
- Typically requires a minimum of 12 years with project management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in sector specific multi-sector project management and implementation.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and national/international in scope.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to build positive local working relationships with local communities, district/state/national government officials, UN and other multilateral bodies and donor representatives.
- Deep knowledge of budgeting, financial management, human resources and compliance policies and best practices
- Ability to analyze and establish effective and supportive cross- program coordination, organizational procedures, and management systems.
- Discretion on legal and HR issues ; point of contact for legal counsel in country
- Proactive communication with HQ
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices in project management, process development and execution.
- Excellent and demonstrated public relations, policy, representation, and diplomacy skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to strategize, plan and manage resources for successful completion of projects (ADD)
- Ability to motivate, influence and collaborate with others
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Decisions and actions have a significant impact on management and operations.
- Problems encountered are moderate to complex and highly varied.
- Exercises judgment to meet business strategies and develops objectives that align with organizational goals.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!