Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Doctor
Location: Abakaliki, Ebonyi
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide medical care to patients/beneficiaries suspected / confirmed for Lassa Fever in observation bays (OBs) and virology unit (VU) according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, Contribute to the operation research (OR), LASCOPE study protocol, MSF values and universal hygiene standards to improve the patients/beneficiaries health conditions.
- Apply medical knowledge, skills to diagnose, and prevention. Carry out inpatient consultations in observation bays and virology unit, prescribing the required treatment following the conditions of Lassa fever patients included in the LASCOPE study, this in collaboration with AEGFUTHA counterpart.
- Follow up of the evolution of the hospitalized patients in OBs and in VU , deciding whether patient can be discharged or transferred to other departments following the protocol in place – in collaboration with other doctorsand informing the family about the patient’s evolution(through daily visits, consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following LASCOPE.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care of the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure General compliance on IPC measures, standards and hygiene put in place
- Participate in query management and monitoring of the LASCOPE study, checking validity and completion of case report forms (CRFs) for the purpose of medical data collection. Report to the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients’ illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Medical Doctor Degree. Degree in Tropical Medicine is essential
- Master’s Degree in Public health is an added Advantage
- 2-year experience minimum as a Medical Doctor
- Previous management/supervision experience desirable
- Good understanding and knowledge in operational research and clinical trials
- Recent experience in managing Lassa fever patient in Isolation in the last two months is an added advantage
- Experience in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health, obs and gynae, paediatrics, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery
- International NGO experience is desirable
- English Language and Igbo language essential.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a soft copy of their Application, including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant Certificates and NYSC certificate/Exemption Letters to: [email protected]
Send their Hard copy to:
MSF Belgium Human Resources Office,
Block D 33 Liberation Estate (after the Enugu/Abakaliki express),
Abakaliki – Ebonyi State.
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application
Application Deadline 31st May, 2019.