World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: National Professional Officer (NPO) – NCD (Resolve)
Job ID: 1902471
Contract duration: 24 Months
Organization: AF_NGA Nigeria
Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Purpose of the Post
- Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) currently ranks first in the global cause of death with about 31% (17.9 million) of global deaths in 2016 due to CVDs. Over three quarters of CVD related deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries like Nigeria. In Nigeria, 11% of all NCD related deaths were due to cardiovascular diseases mainly heart and stroke.
- The most important behavioural risk factors of heart disease and stroke are unhealthy diet, physical inactivity, tobacco use and harmful use of alcohol.
- These behavioural risk factors may later show up in individuals as raised blood pressure/hypertension, raised blood glucose, raised blood lipids, and overweight and obesity. These “intermediate risks factors” can be measured in primary care facilities and indicate an increased risk of developing a heart attack, stroke, heart failure and other complications.
Overview of the Programme
Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate unit or field activity:
- The NPO will work under the overall guidance of the WHO Country Representative, and direct supervision of the Team Lead Communicable and Noncommunicable Diseases at the WHO Country Office in Abuja.
- The NPO RTSL will operate from WHO Office in Abuja and will provide technical support to the Federal and State Ministries of Health, National and State Primary Health Care Development Agencies and other key stakeholders involved in the prevention and management of NCDs.
- On day to day functioning, he/she will work in close collaboration with the rest of the CND cluster team including the CND cluster leader as first level supervisor and other CND team members as well as other clusters/units at WCO.
- Where applicable, he/she will liaise with relevant technical units/officers at other levels of WHO (through appropriate communication channels).
- Coordinate the implementation of the 2-year RESOLVE project which includes strengthening of hypertension management at the Primary Healthcare in two selected states, sampling and analysis of Transfatty Acid in the food supply and facilitate the conduct of STEPs survey.
- Support the NCDs Program Manager in the implementation of priority activities on NCDs and it’s risk factors in the country;
- Organizational Context (Describe the work environment; the role of the individual within the team – team member, specialist, adviser, facilitator, coordinator/manager, representative, expert, authority in the field, etc; available guidelines and degree of independence in decision making; and nature and purpose of contact within and outside the Organization):
Summary of Assigned Duties
(Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected):
- Working under the overall leadership of the WR/Nigeria and the direct supervision of the CND Team Lead, the National Professional Officer, will serve as the focal person for RTSL under the Communicable and Noncommunicable Diseases Cluster of the WHO Country Office in Nigeria. Specifically, the post holder will;
- Coordinate the implementation of the 2-year RESOLVE project which includes strengthening of hypertension management at the Primary Healthcare level in two selected states, sampling and analysis of Transfatty Acid in the food supply and facilitating the conduct of STEPs survey in Nigeria.
- Provide technical support for the development of guidelines to promote use of community-based approaches, affordable strategies and technologies for the delivery of quality care services including primary, secondary and tertiary prevention;
- Forge partnerships and networks to enhance multi-disciplinary and multi-sectoral collaboration to address NCDs and their risk factors in the country;
- Support data collection, research and information dissemination and use for policy and programme development, advocacy and awareness-raising on NCDs and their risk factors;
- Contribute to resource mobilization for WCO technical support to the country using existing mechanisms at country level;
- Work closely with the national authorities and other partners, and liaise with WHO technical staff in the Regional Office;
- Prepare technical and administrative reports and presentations as required;
- Support the NCDs Program Officer in the implementation of priority activities on NCDs in the country;
- Perform any other tasks/duties as assigned by supervisors
- Essential: Medical degree or related fields from a recognized University.
- Desirable: Master’s in Public Health or Epidemiology or related fields from a recognized University
- Essential: At least 5 years working experience in prevention and control of non-communicable diseases and risk factors
- Desirable: Working experience in related areas with WHO, other UN agencies or other recognized international organizations
(Describe the core, management or leadership competencies required, with reference to WHO competency model; list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones; identify a minimum of three and a maximum of five competencies);
- Producing results
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Expert knowledge (read, write, speak) – English and Other UN Official Languages
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 4th June, 2019.
Note: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device’s system settings.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!