Helen Keller International (HKI) – Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged persons. We combat the cause and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa (including Nigeria), Asia as well as in the United States.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Contract VAS Program Officer
Duration: 4 months (renewable, based on availability of funding)
Vitamin A Supplementation (VAS)
- HKI works closely with the government of Nigeria to ensure high coverage of more than 80% of the target population with vitamin A. HKI also supports the training of health workers, program monitoring, community education and the delivery of vitamin A capsules. In 2001, HKI integrated vitamin A supplementation into Community Directed Treatment with Ivermectin (CDTI) as a cost-effective, sustainable strategy and a strong platform for community mobilization.
- Vulnerable groups, including children 6-59 months old and post-partum women within 8 weeks of delivery, were targeted. However, since 2009, HKI aligned with the Federal Government of Nigeria and adopted the bi-annual Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks (MNCH Weeks) as a high impact strategy to distribute Vitamin A capsules alongside other low-cost interventions that have been proven to be highly effective in reducing mortality rates and improving maternal and child health. HKI Nigeria currently supports the implementation of the MNCH Week in 2 states of the federation (Cross River and Kano) with funding from Nutrition International (formerly, Micronutrient Initiative).
- Under the supervision of the Nutrition Program Manager, the Contract VAS Program Officer implements, monitors and evaluate HKI Nigeria’s nutrition programs and projects in accordance with national protocols and policies.
- Oversee and supervise the two (2) contract VAS state officers in providing technical support to Cross River and Kano states during the planning and implementation of the Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks
- Liaise with the nutrition unit of the State Ministry of Health (SMOH) or State Primary Health Care Development Agencies (SPHCDA) to develop costed nutrition strategic work-plans
- Provide technical assistance to and support implementation of bi-annual VAS in Cross River and Kano states through Maternal Newborn and Child Health Weeks
- Track program progress using mutually agreed indicators, targets, and recommend remedial action to keep programs on course
- Contribute to and support the maintenance of an updated data base of technical program reports including site visits, monthly reports, quarterly and annual reports
- Participate in research to increase VAS coverage and other nutrition interventions
- Support the capacity building of nutrition program officers on relevant nutrition interventions
- Support the implementation of other relevant nutrition-specific and nutrition-sensitive activities such as healthy lifestyle project, infant and young child feeding, community-based management of acute malnutrition e.t.c.
- Maintain regular communication with other state nutrition program partners
- Facilitate program planning, micro-planning and post-MNCHW review meetings on vitamin A supplementation
- Collaborate with partners to develop /roll out social mobilization strategies and tools to create demand for and increase uptake of nutrition services at community / health facility level
- Actively participate in key relevant national and state level nutrition technical forums and meetings
- Analyze, interpret and present VAS program data in useful formats to promote timely decision making and course correction
- Work closely with State Nutrition Officers to strengthen technical reporting in accordance with defined reporting schedule and program indicators
- Perform any other duty as assigned
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Nutrition or Food and Dietetics Or Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition plus a Master’s in Public Health or similar related field
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience
- Demonstrates technical knowledge pertaining to job requirements
- Ability to analyze and interpret program data using SPSS statistical software
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and a good team player
- Demonstrated excellent personal integrity and confidentially.
- Prior experience working in the field of VAS will be an added advantage
- Able to work under pressure minimal supervision and able to meet up deadlines
- Ability to use computer software such as Microsoft office, internet
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their comprehensive Resume with a Cover Letter as ONE MS Word document to: email@example.com using the position title as the subject of the email.
- Please note that applications will not be accepted after the closing date and time stated above.
- There are no relocation allowances available for this position
Application Deadline 5pm; 3rd June, 2019.