The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Officer – Social
Ref. nr.: 4100468862
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
End date: 31/12/2019
Reports to: The Shelter Coordinator.
- NRC is looking for a Shelter Officer Social for our area office in Maiduguri, Borno State, in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of the Shelter Project activities in maiduguri.
- Assist the shelter coordinator, to develop the emergency community shelter activities and organize emergency responses,
- To assess the community training needs and assist in developing modules for appropriate training materials (training modules and ToR)
- Provide technical support to Shelter assistant in training of community workers
- Guide the formation of beneficiary selection committee and village committee
- Responsible of preparation and follow up of procurement request and updating procurement database.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with local authorities, local communities, local committees and partners as well as with all stakeholders in NRC area of intervention
- Conduct regular meetings with community members to discuss program objectives, and mobilize the community participation and act as a mentor throughout the planning and implementation processes.
- Routinely monitor the projects activities and feedback findings to the community members and other stakeholders
- Encourage the participation of female workers in key positions in the construction / rehabilitation of community infrastructures and all shelter activities
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents as required
- Represent NRC in coordination meeting when delegated.
- Supervise the Shelter technical assistants – Social
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Support supervisors in pre-evaluation and anticipation of the implementation needs.
- Under the supervision of the Shelter Coordinator and / or the shelter Specialist, initiate and design the community awareness activities and project Awareness S.O.P.
- Assist the shelter coordinator in development of cash based project designs
- Assess the community training needs and assist in the development of appropriate training materials.
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Some knowledge of English.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) or Bachelor of Art (BA) or any other related quality
- Knowledge of the context in North Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Experience in community training and management of community workers Familiarity with Data collection and management tools
- Social Science
- Civil engineering / Construction
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- Commencement: July 2019
- Duration: 5 months (with possibility of extension)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Level: Grade 5 Step 1 in the NRC grade structure
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th July, 2019.
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!