Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI is now looking for its Human Resources team in Maiduguri, consequently applications are invited for:
Job Title: Deputy Human Resources Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Nationality: For Nigeria Nationals only
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC). The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
- In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Cross Kauwa LGA.
- In 2019, PUI will further develop its integrated approach by adding a WASH component to its comprehensive response.
- Under the direct supervision of the HR manager, the Deputy HR manager contributes to the good management of the Human Resources and the administrative and legal records of Maiduguri base.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Participate in the recruitment process of the staffs under his/her direct supervision.
- Support the staff under his/her direct management in the fulfilment of their duties
- Report to his/her line manager problems and/or concerns on technical issues
- Provide training to the HR staff on the HR components in order to build their capacities
- Solve team conflicts, if any occurs among the team
- Ensure team building among his/her team
- Conduct appraisals every six months for the staffs under his/her supervision
- Human Resources Management and Career Path Management:
- Assist in drawing up organizational charts, and be mindful of coherence in the composition of teams, in terms of task division and responsibilities, defining hierarchical and functional relationships, function titles, etc
- Validate by delegation of the HR Manager, amendments to contracts (job description, payment, working hours, end date, etc.)
- Take part in drawing up job descriptions and confirm these against the job categories table.
- Be proactive in the identification of inconsistencies in the human resources set up within the departments
- Support the HR Manage in the monitoring of the correct progress of assessment and appraisal procedures for all employees of the base
- With the support of the HR manager, work on clear integration plans and on comprehensive capacity building plan for the base teams
- Create or draft any possible support process for integrating new employees;
- Support the HR manager in the identification of internal and external training providers
- Ensure the good organization of the trainings
- Support the HR manager in ensuring the follow up of the training plan
- Supervise the recruitment process (advertising, short-listing candidates, and interviews with the different head of department
- Ensure the capitalization and archiving of all recruitment steps
- Provide to the managers with advices on the type of recruitment to follow
- Ensure the reference checks of each selected candidate
- Ensure the regular update of the recruitment tests and interviews
- Ensure, once the recruitment is finalized, the induction process in coordination with the HR Manager
- Ensure physical and IT archiving, as well as securing administrative documents
- Ensure that administrative personnel files are created and will ensure that employee documents are in accordance with working for PUI in the country and donors requirements;
- Ensure the administrative management of national staff, in particular, payroll operations and absences monitoring
- Support the HR manager in preparing the information and statistical data required for drawing up budgets and salary costs
- Ensure that the HR archives are in compliance with internal procedures
- Contribute to the optimization of HR, administration and payroll tools and procedures;
HR Risks Management:
- Participate in defining and implementing suitable working conditions particularly those concerning rules and regulations on health and safety
- With the HR Manager, monitor situations in order to anticipate and avert social conflicts and take part in crisis management, if necessary
- Be attentive for any risk or abuse of power (whether this is between local employees, or between an expatriate and local employees or any other type of abuse of power) and report any inappropriate behavior to the line manager
- Responsible at base level and in collaboration with the HR manager for keeping records for all current and previous employees and update this information on paper and electronic files.
- Provide information to all employees regarding the PUI Charter and its Internal rules and regulations
- Ensure that information is circulated effectively between the different department at base level
- Edit or take part in drafting internal reports for everything involving HR, administrative and legal issues for the base
- Implement collective rules and communicate internally
- Stimulate internal communications and anticipate risks associated with National HR
Priorities of the Department
- Digitalization of the HR files
- Follow up on the trainings and capacity building of the national staff
- Ensure a confidentiality on all HR matters
- In collaboration with the HR/Admin Manager, ensure the good HR reporting to the concerned department
- Language skills: Fluent in Hausa and English (Kanuri is a plus)
- Education degree: University Degree in Human Resources or Administration Management and any related field.
- Work experience: Minimum 2 years of experience in a similar position (NGOs/private companies)
- Knowledge & skills: Good analytical and writing skills. Good management capacities and team leadership spirit
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Good skills in reports and contracts redaction
- Knowledge of humanitarian actors
- Good management and pedagogical skills
- Excellent communication and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Rigor and organization
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Team management
- Able to analyze and suggest improvement
- Able to take initiative to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Able to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Autonomous, neutral, hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Honesty and integrity
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Nationality: For Nigeria nationals only.General objective
- Under the direct supervision of the Food Security and Livelihoods Project Manager, The Deputy FSL Project Manager (FSL DPM) is responsible for the management and the proper implementation of Food Security and Livelihood project(s) in Borno State. He/she coordinates and monitors the work of both Livelihoods Supervisors and all Livelihoods Field Officers dedicated to these activities and he/she is responsible for a qualitative and regular reporting on Livelihoods components of the FSL Program. The FSL DPM position’s major objectives are to properly achieve the following global tasks:
- Smooth and timely implementation of the activities in the field with particular follows up of the team at field level;
- Designing and capitalization of all aspects of the project in direct link with the Food Security and Livelihoods Project Manager.
Responsibilities And Tasks
Ensure the Implementation and the Monitoring of the FSL Project(s):
- S/He organizes, schedules and coordinates the FSL activities and the team’s work on a weekly as well as monthly basis.
- S/He supervises the field work of partners or/and contactors and make sure they agree and respect PUI principles.
- S/He monitors closely the implementation of activities at field level with site visits on a regular basis.
- S/He supervises the work schedule of the Livelihoods Supervisors and Officers and provides them support when needed.
- S/He ensures the timely implementation of the project(s).
- S/He shares about the work progress with the Project Manager on a daily basis or when needed.
- S/He actively takes part in the monitoring of the results achievements and indicators as per indicated in the logical framework.
- S/He mobilizes and encourage the communities for the activities (daily and free worker, volunteers)
- S/He ensures that all project(s) documents are correctly filled and filed.
- S/He actively contributes to the security analysis in the field and ensure that all measures have been taken and rules followed to ensure security on-site.
- Gives an expertise and contribute to the improvement of activities through critics, analysis and suggestions (food security and livelihood assessments, market, vendor transaction, beneficiary satisfaction, PDM, evaluations, complaints and feedbacks, etc).
Manage the operational teams:
- S/He participates in the recruitment process of the Livelihoods Supervisors and Officers.
- S/He supervises the Livelihoods Supervisors and Field Officers and ensure the respect of all human resources rules;
- S/He ensures the HR administrative management of his/her officers (daily attendance, leaves management) in collaboration with the HR department.
- S/He ensures that her/his team complies with PU internal rules.
- In collaboration with the Project Manager, s/he ensures a regular evaluation process for her/his team with definition and follow-up of clear objectives (Performance Appraisal).
- S/He supports her/his team in building their capacities (Day to day sharing of knowledge and experience, organize training sessions for the Livelihoods Supervisors and Field Officers, develop any FSL pedagogical and methodological tools adapted to the local context…)
Manage the Logistical and Financial Aspects of the Project(s):
- S/He defines the needs in materials and tools regarding the Project and the planning of interventions.
- S/He ensures the follow-up and the proper use of materials and tools used during on-site works.
- S/He manages the supply of materials to the work site in collaboration with logistics department.
- S/He uses the PUI forms for all exchange with the logistic & administration services.
- S/He analyzes the security situation in the area and inform the Project Manager in case of security incidents, rumors or any security information.
- S/He takes part in the financial follow-up of the project with the Project Manager.
- S/He contributes to the management of the cash forecast of the project in link with the Project Manager.
Represent Pui And Ensure Proper Reporting:
- S/He participates in the different working groups and meetings related to her/his field of work.
- S/He provides weekly and monthly internal reporting on activities according to PUI internal tools.
- S/He takes part in external reporting according to the needs (reports to local authorities, donors) in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Reports immediately any delay, problem or other relevant information to the Project Manager.
Priorities Of The Position
- The DPM will propose timely and efficient response to the challenges faced during each disbursement (cards management, Red-Rose platform issues, vendors’ issues, Income generating self-help groups…)
- The DPM will actively contribute to the review and the improvement of all the methodology documents for a top-quality monitoring of the activities
- The DPM oversees and manages the food security and livelihoods team in the implementation and the monitoring of the food security and livelihood activities and works in close collaboration with DPMs from other departments to foster the integrated approach.
The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Fluent in English and Hausa; (Kanuri is an added advantage)
- Bachelor Degree (B.Sc. or its equivalent) in Agriculture, Food Security, Development Studies, Disaster Risk Management, Project Management, Monitoring and Evaluation, Rural Development, Agricultural Economics or any relevant field.
- At least 3 years of experiences in a relevant position in Food Security and Livelihoods related activity.
- Familiarity of Cash Transfer Program (CTP) implementation.
- Familiarity with cash based livelihoods interventions.
- Familiarity with income generating activities (IGAs) implementation.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Project cycle and project follow up tools (work plan, budget, activities and indicators)
- E-voucher related activities
- Red-Rose platform
- Team management
- NGO’s logistic and administrative processes (log, fin, HR, procurement)
- Community management
- Good command of English writing
- Conflict management
- Protection sensitivity
- Result driven
- At least good command of Word, Excel and Outlook as well as other packages.
- Capacity to build knowledge of his staffs
- Reporting capacity
- Ability to project and plan in advance
- Knowledge transfer
- Interest for the relief sector
- Interest for Food Security and urban settings activities
Interested and qualified candidates should: Click here to apply