NDI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan, nongovernmental organization supporting democratic institutions and practices in every region of the world for more than three decades. Since its founding in 1983, NDI and its local partners have worked to establish and strengthen political and civic organizations, safeguard elections, and promote citizen participation, openness and accountability in government.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant, Women in Politics (WIP) Project
- The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) in Nigeria seeks to hire a Program Assistant to join its Women in Politics (WiP) Team. The WiP project assists women political aspirants to improve their ability to navigate party nomination processes and works with state and national structures of political parties to support greater women’s participation. It also works with women legislators at the federal and state levels to strengthen constituent relations and other criteria for effectiveness.
- Based in Abuja, the position requires regular travel to selected states of Nigeria. The position reports to the Program Manager for Women in Politics, with NDI’s Deputy Country Director providing overall guidance. Both female and male candidates with the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
- Under close supervision provide administrative and logistic support to all team activities, including travel and financial management;
- Under close supervision create initial draft of budgets for program activities.
- Assist the WiP team in organizing and implementing programs on women political participation;
- Assist in organizing conferences, workshops and meetings.
- Attend and report back to the team on selected internal meetings and external events.
- Conduct regular analyses of gender issues that may have significant impact on the program.
- Deliver program documents to stakeholders and partners.
- Provide required material for workshop participants and coordinate the workshop secretariat.
- Draft weekly program updates.
- Schedule meetings with partners and other stakeholders.
- Identify and document opportunities within the program for lessons learning and sharing.
- Contributes to writing and reporting of various documents specific to the WiP team;
- Take notes in trainings, conferences, workshops and meetings.
- Develop sign in sheets and program evaluation forms for events, keep program information and records, track program impacts on stakeholders and supports in program monitoring and evaluation.
- Collect data and program information from the field in accordance with program requirements.
- Fulfill other program duties as assigned by supervisor.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science or a related field; graduate degree preferred.
- Demonstrated coursework and/or internships in international development, community organizing, political campaigning, organizational development, legislative and political affairs, or related subjects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, to effectively present information in a persuasive manner and respond to questions.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Good interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff, Nigerian and foreign government personnel, and the NGO community.
- Ability and willingness to travel to locations within Nigeria.
- Interest in and knowledge of regional political environment and people.
- Working knowledge of basic budget and accounting procedures.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications; experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.).
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to effectively articulate NDI mission statements and program/project initiatives.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Ability to apply discretion and maintain confidential information.
Salary is commensurate with experience and NDI’s Nigeria salary scale. Benefits and a housing allowance will be provided. NDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, political affiliation, religion, gender, disability, or sexual orientation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and a CV (Please include three references from past employment or academic experiences) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 4th June, 2019.