The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Officer
Ref. nr.: 4108590805
Location: Monguno, Borno
Reports to: The Shelter Coordinator.
- NRC is looking for a Shelter Officer for our area office in Monguno, Borno State, in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of the Shelter Project activities in Dikwa.
- Assist the Shelter Coordinator in the development of site planning and other related designs delegated
- Assist the shelter coordinator, to develop emergency shelter designs and organize emergency responses,
- Responsible for preparation and follow up of procurement requests and updating the procurement database.
- Work closely with logistics and community members to accurately control the quantities and qualities of materials delivered.
- Supervise the Shelter assistants.
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Support supervisors in pre-evaluation and anticipation of needs and in site supply planning,
- Under the supervision of the Shelter Coordinator and/or the shelter Programme Development Manager, initiate the drafts of technical drawings, develop Bill of Quantity and technical specification notes for shelter projects.
- University degree in Civil Engineering or Architecture
- Knowledge of the context in North Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Experience household training in and infrastructure maintenance
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS and Google Earth
- Civil Engineering / Construction.
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Planning and delivering results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Commencement: July 2019
- Duration: 7 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Level: Grade 5 Step 1 in the NRC grade structure
- Duty station: Monguno, with frequent travels. Travel outside Monguno is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
Application Procedures and CV Registration:
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location
Application Deadline 26th July, 2019.
Note: All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.