54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market; Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Laboratory Scientist- Chemistry/Haematology
Supervision: Head of Clinical Laboratory Services
Start Date: August 1, 2019
- Ensure prompt test turn around time based on processing SOPs from receipt of samples to the time the result is ready for validation by pathologist.
- Ensure quality control is performed based on equipment SOP and maintenance logs are up to date.
- Daily temperature charting (Fridge and room temperature).
- Required to adhere to all quality and safety guidelines as stated in laboratory manual.
- Ensure samples collected and registered correspond with the lab numbers given before the samples are processed.
- Sample rejection and acceptance criteria must be adhered to at all times.
- Processing and loading of samples on Sysmex and Cobas platforms as well as other sophisticated equipment.
- Processing dried blood spots from consumer kits and performing the suitable rapid diagnostic tests (Comprehensive allergy test/ HeamoglobinSC).
- Preparation of reagents & stains if required.
- Changing of reagents used in processes regularly depending on the equipment SOP.
- General supervision and cleaning of laboratory equipment including fridges, centrifuge etc.
- Assist in documentation and updating of laboratory work documents- SOPS, Policies etc.
- Maintaining and updating professional knowledge and taking responsibility for continuing professional development.
- Ensuring that services are provided in an accurate, efficient and cost effective manner.
- Maintaining data security and strict privacy with patient laboratory records.
- Bachelor’s in Medical Laboratory Science (Minimum 2nd class honours upper division) Core strengths in Chemical pathology/Haematology
- 3 years post-NYSC work experience
- Proficient in usage of laboratory information management systems
- Experience in cancer genetics is an added advantage.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Please note that you can be assigned any other duty by the superior officer or management.