Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Compliance Officer
Job ID: 13-10756
Location: Cross River
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN – Program Delivery Group
Project/Program: A576 – PMI – S
Reports To: Director of Internal Audit
- President’s Malaria Initiative for States is a five-year PMI/USAID flagship malaria project implemented through a consortium led by Management Sciences for Health (MSH). The project is supporting the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, LGA and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria, its complications, and prevention. PMI-S project focuses on strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) for the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020.
- PMI-S will target eight states of Nigeria, namely: Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross-River, Ebonyi, Nassarawa, Oyo, Plateau and Zamfara.
- S/he will plan, perform and report back on internal assessments to ensure that financial control, financial guidelines of donor organization and other control procedures are in place and are being properly implemented and managed on the PMI-S Malaria project.
- S/he will also be responsible for advising and monitoring quality standards of operations and value for money.
- S/he will monitor and following-up on recommendations from the internal and external auditors to ensure the recommendations have been implemented and adhered to.
- Under the direction of the Director of Internal Audit (and MSH General Counsel where necessary), s/he will conduct thoroughly documented investigations of whistle-blower cases, and suspected fraud and will directly interface with the Director of Internal Audit on these or other specific cases.
- The Regional Compliance Officer will conduct verification of MSH internal controls and compliance of all financial and operational functions within MSH Nigeria PMI-S Project. The position holder will verify that all staff are well versed in donor and MSH policies and procedures, and are adhering to such standards.
- S/he will identify gaps in existing internal control systems, and provide recommendations to strengthen them; will identify gaps in staff’s knowledge and skills in MSH Policies & SoPs; will provide recommendations for training; and may provide training directly to staff.
- In coordination with the Director of Internal Audit, s/he will develop a plan and evaluation tools, and then carry out independent appraisals and verifications of the effectiveness of MSH and donor policies, procedures and standards, and applicable Nigeria law, by which MSH Nigeria financial resources are managed.
- S/he will review and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of operations, reliability of financial reporting, compliance with applicable laws and the safeguarding of assets.
Compliance /Internal Audit (90):
- Ensure that all MSH Nigeria and PMI-S Malaria project financial and operational activities are in compliance with Nigeria law (tax laws, CSA laws and government pension agency laws), donor rules and regulations, and MSH policies and standards.
- Develops an annual customized compliance monitoring plan, including evaluation tools, standards, ethical considerations, and schedule to evaluate all PMI-S Malaria project or remote staff/office locations, and to revisit sites needing extra attention.
- Develops compliance framework for the PMI-S Malaria project; including compliance checklists for the various business processes, transaction classes, country laws governing NGO operations, and specific donor requirements.
- Periodically reviews and updates the compliance monitoring checklist and other tools to stay current with MSH procedures and policies.
- Examines the effectiveness of internal controls and compliance within MSH Nigeria policy framework and identifies gaps in procedures and controls systems and provides recommendations to the Country Leadership Team for strengthening them.
- Follows-up on recommendations to ensure they have been implemented and adhered to.
- Tests internal controls, targeting high risk areas, including workshops, vehicle usage, inventory control and cash advance management, payroll and Fleet Management.
- Documents internal control weaknesses and compliance deviations and their impact, and makes recommendations to address these weaknesses.
- Identifies gaps in knowledge and skills and provides recommendations for training.
- May be requested to provide training directly to staff.
- Prepares detailed reports of each compliance review and other task assignments, with prioritized findings and recommendations.
- Presents final reports to the MSH Nigeria/PMI-S Country Leadership Team after review and approval from Supervisor.
- When necessary, collaborates with internal and external audit on investigations of whistleblower cases, suspected fraud, mismanagement, loss of assets, etc.
- Follows-up on recommendations from the internal and external auditors to ensure the recommendations have been implemented and adhered to.
- Stays abreast of laws, directives, and current trends in the local legal and NGO environment.
- Provides risk assessment for financial and operational landscape. Identify high risk, high probability events, and provide recommended mitigation plan. Provide ad hoc risk assessments for specific scenarios by request.
- Provide ad-hoc advice, helping staff to achieve the goal of establishing sound risk management and internal control systems; offer practical advice on how best to comply with financial policy and donor guidelines.
Additional Responsibilities (10):
- Prepares quarterly audit, investigations, and status of audit recommendations reports for submission to Director Internal Audit and Nigeria Country Representative, if applicable.
- Meets with Project Directors on a regular basis, or as requested by the CR.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Internal Audit.
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience in international development programs preferred.
- Excellent planning, management, and organizational skills.
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skill.
- Professional proficiency in English required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Management or related area.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Professional certification in Accounting, Internal Audit, and Fraud Examination.
- Six plus years of experience in compliance, risk management or audit required.
- Extensive familiarity of U.S Government grant/contracts rules and regulations (USAID, CDC,) or other donor rules and regulations (E.U) required.
Core Job Competencies
Navigating the Environment:
- Perspective, Dealing with ambiguity, Organizational Agility, Political Savvy and Strategic Agility
Ensuring Delivery of Results:
- Functional/Technical skills, Client Focus, Managing through systems, Managing and Measuring work, Negotiating, Information Sharing, Process Management, Priority Setting, Problem Solving and Timely Decision Making.
Core Personal Competencies:
- Ethics and Values, Integrity and Trust, Listening, Written Communication.
Core MSH competencies:
- Adaptability, Communication, Problem Solving, Creativity and Innovation, Quality, Quality and Timeliness of Work, Quality of work and Team Relationships, Resource Utilization.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 29th July, 2019.
- Recruitment for this job position is contingent upon receiving funding and donor approval.
- This is a regional position which will be based in Cross River State. The Regional Compliance Officer position will cover the following States – Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi and Oyo.
- Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!