ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Urban DRR Project Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Lead on the successful implementation of the Urban DRR project in Maiduguri
- Conduct technical trainings on emergency response resource planning and budget allocation
- Support and oversee the Senior Coordination & Liaison Officer in developing a stakeholder map, to identify the key individuals and structures with whom to engage during the Urban DRR project
- Support the Senior Coordination & Liaison Officer to establish area-based disaster coordination forums, led by State and Municipal authorities, at city-level and neighbourhood-level in the selected locations of Maiduguri, and ensure these are functional, relevant, and effective
- Review budget spending and forecasting, and progress against programmatic targets at least once a month, to ensure that the project implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems
- Regularly update the Urban DRR project work plan, output tracker, PMF and other documents as required, for effective project management
- Develop the overall project implementation strategy, systems, approaches, tools, and materials for ACTED’s Urban DRR project in Maiduguri
- Directly lead on the implementation of capacity building activities, to strengthen the skills of state and local authorities to effectively plan for and respond to emergencies in urban Maiduguri using an Area-Based Approach:
- Organise participatory workshops in Maiduguri, on area-based hazard identification and mapping in an urban context, to develop Participatory Disaster Risk Maps, and on area-based disaster preparedness
- Design and coordinate technical trainings for state and local authority personnel on improved urban disaster response, using an Area-Based Approach
- Organise and run simulation drills for emergency responders
Administrative and Operational Management of the Urban DRR Project:
- Review the Budget Follow-Up tool for the Urban DRR project, and provide accurate forecasts of upcoming costs based on procurements and activities, to support the smooth financial management of the project
- Forecast monthly cash requirements of the project and submit to AC, to ensure the project has sufficient access to cash as and when required
- Contribute to the development of Procurement plans
- Send accurate and precise order forms in a timely manner, to ensure the logistics department is able to conduct efficient and timely procurements to support the Urban DRR project
- Ensure a proper management and use of the project assets and stocks
- Coordinate with the Fleet Assistant to plan team movements
- Directly line-manage the Senior Coordination and Liaison Officer, ensure that they understand and are able to perform their roles and responsibilities. Follow-up on their work plan and day-to-day activities
Requirements and Qualifications
- Great “people-person” skills and professional attitude
- Master’s/Bachelor’s degree in DRR, Business or a related field
- Three to five years of experience in a DRR position or related position
- Excellent computer skills, Excel, Word and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping
- Specialized training in relations DRR
- Possesses superb spoken communication skills in local dialects found in maiduguri (Hausa at list)
- Excellent interpersonal relationship building
- Organized and efficient in daily tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Goal-oriented, organized team player
- Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge
- Encouraging to team and staff; able to mentor and lead
- Able present company mission and history clearly and confidently
All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- An understanding of DRR/humanitarian/civil society issues in the country and the region.
- 3-6years working experience, in the field of business is require
- University degree or advanced training course in Geography/trainings in DRR
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent command of English language.
- Meticulous attention to details.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines, under pressure
- Contract length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
- Level: C1-1 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 9th August, 2019.
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates.