United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager, Integrated Approach to Building Peace in Nigeria’s Farmer – Herder Crisis
Job ID: 24810
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: Common System
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Practice Area – Job Family: Management – PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT
Duties and Responsibilities
- This joint project led by UNDP requires close collaboration and coordination between the UNDP, FAO, UN Women and OHCHR, responsible for the implementation of the different components of the project, as well as with the Office of the Resident Coordinator.
- Under the overall leadership and oversight of the UN RC and the strategic guidance of the UNDP Resident Representative, the Project Manager will provide effective coordination and implementation functions for this project in close consultation with the UN Women, FAO and OHCHR.
- S/he will ensure the coordination and well sequenced implementation of the overall project, facilitating collaboration and coordination between the different agency components as per the signed joint project document. Directly supervised by the UNDP Deputy Resident Representative for Programmes, s/he will also ensure effective project management and implementation of UNDP interventions
Coordination of the Joint Project (40%), in close collaboration with the RCO and Agencies:
- Support advocacy efforts for the Project and messaging, including the preparation of strategies, Project and policy briefs and project documents;
- Guide and support the development of the Project’s communication strategy in close collaboration with relevant partners;
- Provide strategic advice and direct technical input on emerging issues;
- Develop the necessary strategic documents concerning Project planning and implementation, such as policy papers, concept notes, etc.
- Ensure gender is integrated throughout the Project activities and that results are reported in a gender-sensitive manner;
- Ensure the development of linkages between the Joint Project and other relevant projects and Projects for mutually reinforcing impact.
- Support the Resident Coordinator’s office in the organization of Steering Committee meetings convened by the Resident Coordinator, and report on behalf and in coordination with the partner agencies on progress, achievements and risks to the committee.
- Prepare Project Coordination Committee meetings in close collaboration with the focal points of the sister agencies.
- Convene and manage regular technical interagency meetings to ensure effective management and coordination of the project.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with key stakeholders (government, UN agencies, NGOs, CBOs and donors);
- Establish the joint annual work plan and the monitoring and evaluation plan of the Joint Project and ensure their implementation;
- Responsible for the development of all project reports as per the signed project document.
- Support the four partner agencies in mobilizing resources from different partners for enhanced and scaled up interagency response;
Management of the UNDP Component (60%):
Under the leadership of the UNDP RR:
- Manage the UNDP portion of the budget and facilitate budget approvals and revision processes as per relevant UNDP policies and procedures;
- Ensure appropriate recording and accounting documentation as required for UNDP and preparation of required financial reports. Make the financial operations of the project transparent and able to stand up to regular audits and evaluation;
- Approve requisitions, and follow up on purchase orders and payment requests in UNDP ATLAS and other relevant systems, and ensure monthly delivery of outputs through a client-satisfaction approach;
- Ensure that UNDP rules and regulations concerning finance, procurement and human resources are adhered to.
- Promote identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for organizational sharing and learning;
- Report regularly to UNDP management on implementation progress, and flag emerging issues and risks in a timely and pro-active manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
- Lead and manage the project team, whether staff or short-term consultants, in both substantial and operational issues ensuring optimization of resources and nurturing a culture of results with highest performance standards;
- Undertake day-to-day management of the UNDP component of the project, including effective project implementation and documents progress towards the achievement of outputs;
- Prepare work plans, produce timely reports, and ensure delivery of resources and results according to planned targets, and;
- Ensure a management information system is established and functional, which allows the efficient and effective collection, storage and analysis of data throughout the project, including sex and age-disaggregated data where relevant;
- Ensure the participation and involvement of relevant stakeholders in Project activities so that the process is inclusive, participatory and transparent;
- Develop Terms of Reference for consultants/experts hired on a short-term basis and ensure proper delivery of technical services and submission of technical and other reports;
- Successful management and delivery of the Joint Project as per the signed Joint Project Document and agreed upon results and resources framework; and
- Lessons learnt and best practices on early recovery, livelihoods and durable solutions to the farmer-herder conflict documented and shared to inform wider policies and programmes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced University Degree in Peace, Conflict or Security Studies, Social Sciences, Economics, Rural Development, Agriculture, Business Administration or other relevant discipline.
- Experience in project and team management;
- Experience in results-based management, monitoring and evaluation;
- Familiarity with UN rules and procedures would be an advantage;
- Experience in working with Peacebuilding Support Office constitutes an advantage.
- Minimum 7 years of professional working experience in peacebuilding, conflict prevention/management;
- Demonstrated ability to assess, supervise and co-ordinate technical work in peacebuilding;
- Experience in designing and conducting conflict analyses to inform Project design and implementation;
- Thorough understanding and experience in conflict analysis and issues in West Africa particularly as related to Nigeria Farmers-Herders crisis;
- Demonstrated appreciation of the Nigeria political-economy and context would be an advantage;
- Demonstrate integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promote the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treat all people fairly without favouritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promote knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively work towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, act on learning plan and apply newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources;
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology and general administration;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side) and affect staff behavioural/attitudinal change;
- Ability to interact across a wide spectrum of people, as well as at the meeting table within managerial and government offices.
Management and Leadership:
- Build strong relationships with clients, focus on impact and result for the client and respond positively to feedback;
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrate openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Lead team effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Remain calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure;
- Communication and networking;
- Excellent oral communications skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interest of varied actors;
- Excellent writing skills, with analytical capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports;
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high-ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English, both in written and in oral form;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 28th July, 2019.
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.on the web.