Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Wash Project Manager
Job number: SRH03524
Location: Monguno, Borno
Contract Type: Short term contract
About the Mission in Nigeria
The current political and military crisis has affected millions of lives in Nigeria and SI is answering the needs of displaced populations and host communities in Borno State. The targeted areas of intervention are WASH, shelter, logistics, food security and livelihood. Seven programs are currently running:
- Multi-sectorial project over 3 years in Monguno, Ngala, Askira/Uba and Hawul in consortium with ALIMA and funded by EuropAid
- Logistic Platform project funded by WFP in Monguno
- Emergency WASH and Shelter response funded by OFDA in Maiduguri, Monguno, Dikwa, Ngala
- Emergency WASH in Health funded by ECHO – in consortium with ALIMA in Maiduguri and Monguno
- Emergency WASH funded by ECHO in Maiduguri, Monguno and Dikwa
- WASH response for vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Dikwa funded by CDC
- Emergency WASH response for new onset manmade disaster in Ngala funded by NHF
This mission has potential to continue developing relevant and mandate-based interventions to cover the needs in the area and to ensure a humanitarian impact. Here are the key numbers and information about the mission:
- 5 bases (Maiduguri, Abuja, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno) plus Coordination Office in Maiduguri.
- The number of expatriates is around 20
- The national staff are approximately 200
- The total budget of the mission is around 7,5 million euros
About the Job
- The WASH program manager is in charge of implementing and achieving the objectives defined in the proposals.
- He/she supervises the operational teams allocated to his/her program.
- He/she guarantees the proper execution and the quality of the implemented programs and, if applicable, suggests adjustments or developments to ensure its relevance.
Project relevance, quality and design:
- Evaluate the relevance of the activities carried out, as well as the effectiveness of the interventions and their appropriateness with respect to contextual developments and the populations’ needs
- Ensure that the programs under his/her supervision achieve the required results
- Participate in building the WASH teams’ abilities with respect to techniques or new methodologies
- Contribute to establishing assessments
- Contribute to define SI local strategy and annual programming by proposing new activities
- Propose a technical approach and a financial, human and logistical scope for the programs to be implemented
- Write the technical annexes and chapters (including the logical framework) for the proposals
- Implement activities in compliance with the annual operational strategy, SI technical requirements and the financial donors’ criteria
Implementation and operational monitoring:
- Plan activities and activity cycles for WASH in the light of established objectives
- Used the project management, monitoring and evaluation tools for WASH, particularly the planning and monitoring timeline
- Propose and implement quality criteria and monitoring indicators for WASH program
- Support and advise to the base’s logistical department for the purchase of specific materials for WASH activities
- Plan and supervise the WASH program implementation he/she is in charge of, being sure to meet deadlines and adhere to predefined technical specifications
- Supervise and provide support for the WASH managers; monitor and evaluate the implemented WASH activities
- Suggest any adjustments to be made to the WASH activity depending on contextual and indicator developments
- Use the capitalization tools proposed by SI
- Participate in the centralization and distribution of procedures, guides and tools linked to the WASH activities
- Capitalize on intervention methods acquired by SI and other participants in the WASH activities
- Write procurement and handover reports before the end of his/her contract and send it to the appropriate persons on the mission and at headquarters
- Participate in validating the hiring of national technical staff for activities
- Define the prerequisites for WASH positions
- Greet and brief the expatriates working on the program
- Identify and pass on any training needs for WASH teams
- Set up technical training depending on WASH operational needs and identified training requirements
- Manage and support the team under his/her responsibility
Reporting / communication / representation:
- Draft activity reports and any annexes relating to specific activities for the financial donor reports and/or amendments
- Maintain a local operational communications network and good relations with local and government authorities, financial donor representatives, UN agencies and other international agencies
- In his/her assignment area, represent Solidarités International’s at meetings or forums concerning the WASH activities
- Very strong proficiency in Excel, with good data treatment abilities
- Anticipation and self-organization capacities
- Great work and stress management capacities
- Willingness to work in complex and volatile environments
- Masters’ degree or equivalent in related sectors of WASH
- Previous field humanitarian experience as a Wash program/project manager in emergency context
- Experience in tensed context in terms of security
- Good and proven writing and spoken English are required
- Strong HR management skills with field experience in delivering training and capacity building
Remuneration and Benefits
- A salary starting from 1980€ gross per month + valorization of your experiences
- A monthly Per Diem of 600 USD
- SI also covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of origin and the place of assignment.
- Expatriate staff live in a common guesthouse adjacent to the office. Food is cooked communally in a shared kitchen. Basic household commodities are available in the local market although additional items are procured from Maiduguri.
- During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular breaks, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
Social and medical cover:
- Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply