The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Research Assistant, Acute Malnutrition-Early Warning Score (AM-EWS) Study
Location: University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital, Borno
Report to: Research Fellow Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto/Medical Referent of Muna Project, Maiduguri
- The current methods used for detecting high risk children with severe acute malnutrition within the CMAM model Current mortality rate is high (range 5-10%). The purpose of the study is to provide evidence that objective methods for detecting high risk children can be used to optimize efficiency of Community-based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) treatment programs and thus improve child health outcomes.
- We will be collecting a set of standard health information (heart rate, breathing rate, level of anemia) from children ill with acute malnutrition admitted to the inpatient therapeutic feeding centre (ITFC) to see if we can use them all together to determine which children are at highest risk of getting sicker and would need to be more closely monitored to better care for them. Vital signs and clinical data will be collected from children admitted into the ITFC twice daily for the duration of their stay in hospital. This study is being conducted collaboratively by Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA), The Hospital for Sick Children, and The University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH).
- Work environment: work takes place within the inpatient therapeutic feeding centre (ITFC) run by ALIMA in University of Maiduguri Teaching hospital
General Job Description
- To oversee the study implementation in an ITFC run by ALIMA in The University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) and ensure transmission of the data through secure internet-scan system to the Hospital for Sick Children. Be the focal person for the study in the ITFC, communicate with ITFC personnel and the UMTH staff pediatricians. Responsible for direct contact with the Research Fellow at Sick kids.
Duties and Responsibilites
- Facilitate identification of SAM children eligible for inclusion upon ITFC admission
- Supervise study team including 4 Nurse data collectors and one data archivist).
- Support data archivist with transmission of data through secure server
- Maintain Dinamap (automatic blood pressure) and Rad-G (pulse oximeter) in working condition
- Maintain regular contact with Sick kids Research Fellow with weekly meetings.
- Assure the integrity of the informed consent process
- Oversee accuracy of data collection by the team
- Ensure study register is accurately maintained.
Education and Training:
- Medical Doctor
- Diploma/ Certificate (or equivalent) in Epidemiology or research related studies
Knowledge and Experience:
- Fluent in English
- Experience in research projects
- Experience in coordination of team
- Experience with care of children acute malnutrition
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in computer/internet/scan process
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work as a team member
- Calm, patient and able to work in busy stressful environment.
- Able to maintain utmost patient confidentiality
- Good planning and organization skills
- Contract: Temporary Contract, Full time, 6 months ‘renewable.
- Starting date: ASAP
- Salary: depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
- Tavel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- To apply, please send us your CV and Cover Letter.
- Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful.
- Only full applications (CV + Motivation Letter) will be taken into account
Application Deadline 30th August, 2019.