Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislation. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter and Infrastructure Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Slot: 2 Openings
- The Shelter and Infrastructure Assistant primary function is to assist the Shelter Officer in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of Shelter activities being implemented by DRC.
General Programming & Operations
- Carrying out Shelter needs assessment for returning refugees and IDPs and using results in designing intervention measures.
- Monitor Shelter activities, construction works progress, budgets, costs and schedule in accordance with project plan and taking of appropriate actions.
- Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
- Mobilization of beneficiary communities to maintain the established shelter resources.
- Ensure archiving of Shelter logs and procurement records.
- Participate in preparations of Shelter flight and vehicle plans.
Coordination and representation:
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to shelter.
- Represent DRC at shelter meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings at field level.
- Ensure good representation and reputation of Shelter sector at all levels.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure integration of Shelter activities with other DRC sectors.
- Coordinate with WASH, RRM and Shelter counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Assist in developing project plans and budgets for funding.
- Prepare WASH weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports as tasked by Shelter Officer.
- The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
- Assist in developing the projects’ M&E tools.
- Assist in project implementation and reporting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Water Engineering, Architecture or technical courses from recognized institution.
- Diploma in Civil/Water Engineering, Architecture, or technical courses from recognized institution.
- At least 1-year experience in implementation and evaluation of Shelter and NFI distribution projects.
- Knowledge of Shelter Approaches.
- Good IT skills (especially MS Office).
- Project Planning and Management is an added advantage
- Experience working in emergency response with NGOs, preferably in a humanitarian context.
Languages – (indicate fluency level):
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Fluency in Hausa and Kanuri is a requirement
Key Stakeholders – (internal and external)
- Other Programme staff
- Logistics & Procurement
- Relevant stakeholders
- Other NGOs
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Recruitment Manager”.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants who are invited for written test and oral interview will be contacted.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- The position is for NIGERIAN NATIONALS ONLY.
- DRC-DDG Nigeria does not charge any fees for recruitment and does not use any employment mediator
Application Deadline 18th August, 2019.