The Dangote Group is a diversified and fully integrated conglomerate with interests across a range of sectors in Nigeria and Africa. Current interests include Cement, Sugar, Flour, Salt, Pasta, Beverages, Noodles, Poly Products, Transportation and real estate with new initiatives in the Oil and Gas, Telecommunication, Fertilizer and Steel sector of the economy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Environmental Coordinator
Fuction/Domain: Health and Safety
Slot: 2 Openings
- The Project Field Environmental Coordinator will monitor implementation of the project Environmental Management System at site. He/she is responsible for supporting Project Management during the execution phases of the project and providing assistance to them in the interpretation and application of environmental legislation, Group / Project Standards and international best practices applicable to the project by development of project specific management plans. The work environment will consist of a mix of office and field work, with some field work requiring overnight stays.
- Coordinating the project environmental activities performed by the various Functions and Contractors;
- Act as point of communication between the Project and the external regulators on environmental related matters;
- Provide expertise to Project Management, on current and emerging environmental issues;
- Support Project Management to improve the Project Environmental Management System at site;
- Prepare and distribute Project Environmental Plans, where relevant;
- Participate in risk assessments;
- Assist in the co-ordination of emergency response situations;
- Attend Project and Contractor meetings, as required;
- Supervise the activities of site HSE personnel;
- Conduct regular site environmental inspections;
- Develop and implement environmental monitoring plans in accordance with regulatory and permit requirements;
- Review and analyse environmental monitoring data and identify potential issues resulting from data interpretation and analysis; and
- Prepare and submit environmental progress reports to Project Management and Contractors.
- Participate in the development of operational and emergency procedures;
- Develop and deliver training on environmental requirements and management;
- Ensure the competence of HSE personnel employed on the project;
- Organize and deliver environmental awareness campaigns, when required;
Desired Qualification/Preferred Competencies
- Very good technical capabilities and working knowledge of applicable environmental legislation, air emission, water and waste management, fuel and chemical handling and storage, soil and groundwater contamination technologies (preferably in emerging countries);
- Flexibility to adapt to changing situations;
- Good knowledge of English, both spoken and written;
- Project Management, and presentation skills.
- Able to listen to opinions, formulate recommendations in a confident and constructive manner
- Postgraduate degree in environmental science or similar scientific disciplines, i.e. geology, chemical engineering, etc.;
- 10+ years’ experience as environmental officer/supervisor in major projects in emerging countries, preferably Nigeria / Africa; and
- Track record in effective permitting / monitoring program execution and development / implementation of Environmental Management Systems.
- Be able to differentiate between negligible environmental issues and issues of possible material impact;
- Have the skill and attitude to act in a proactive manner to anticipate problems and solve existing problems in the context of operational requirements and environmental regulatory constraints;
- Ability to interface with management, construction staff, contractors, regulators;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience on writing technical reports with minimal oversight;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th August, 2019.