Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA) is a nonprofit organization registered in Nigeria in 2016 to respond to the humanitarian crisis in Northern Nigeria and the Lake Chad region by providing evidence-based interventions and promoting human right, peace and development initiatives in grassroots communities in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Volunteer
Location: Borno / Yobe
Contract Period: 6 months
Commencement: 19th August, 2019
- In response to the conflicts in Northeast Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin which has resulted in the displacement of persons and incidents of human rights abuses, GRA is partnering with Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD) in Strengthening the capacity and oversight of human rights principles in counter terrorism across Lake Chad Region (SCO- HRP Lake Chad) Project
- The aim of the project is to identify, document and empower local actors in the dissemination and uptake of cases of Human Rights Abuses within the context of terrorism and counter terrorism operations in the Lake Chad Basin.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Assist in identifying and documenting of cases of Human Rights Abuses within the context of terrorism and counter terrorism operations in Borno and Yobe
- Produce and submit weekly report on cases of Human Rights Abuse in the assigned location of coverage, including success stories and lessons learned
- Assist in mobilizing stakeholders aimed at demanding accountability on cases of Human Rights violations
- Participate in community meetings, focus group discussions and any other program role as may be required by GRA.
- Assist in monitoring progress on cases of human rights abuses and ensuring consistent update of the cases into the clearing house register / database
- Participate in monthly clearing house sessions with the program staff and pro-bono lawyers to review the state of all identified and ongoing cases of human rights violations, leading to next steps of actions and approaches towards ensuring perpetrators are held accountable
Collaboration / Ethical Operating Standards:
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with GRA program staff and the beneficiaries
- Approachable and good listenership skills
- Volunteers will be paid monthly stipends based on the services rendered to GRA.
Qualification and Skills
- Degree, HND or Diploma in a relevant field
- Ability to work under pressure, with little or no supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, as well as knowledge of Hausa.
- Previous experience in a nonprofit organization is highly desirable
- Proven intellectual capacity and willingness to learn
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and Cover Letter as single PDF document addressed to “The Executive Director, Grassroots Researchers Association (GRA)”, via: [email protected] and copy [email protected] using “Application for Volunteer” as the subject of the mail.
- GRA is an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate gender, religion or ethnicity.
- GRA recruitment and selection procedures do not involve any form of payment to the organization, staff and or any assigned third party, request of such kinds should be immediately reported.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 11th August, 2019.