The Nigeria Arabic Language Village, Ngala, Borno State, Nigeria, was established in 1991 as an Inter University Centre within the ambit of the National Universities Commission (NUC) with the statutory mandate of: providing Language Immersion Programme (LIP) as a domestic alternative to the erstwhile foreign- based (year-round) component of the B.A./8.Ed. Arabic programmes in Nigerian Universities and providing similar acculturation for students of Arabic in Nigerian Colleges of Education.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Director/Chief Executive
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Duties and Responsibilities
- Broadly, the Director, as the Chief Executive, shall be the Chief Administrative and Academic Officer of the Language Village, the Chairman of the Academic Board and an exofficio member of the Governing Council
- He/She is the Image of the Language Village.
Specifically, the Director performs the following major actions:
- Maintaining efficiency and good order of the Language Village. All other officers within the Internal management structure are responsible to him/her. His/Her success in managing the resources available to him/her depends, not only on his/her profession as an academic but also on his/her ability to lead, motivate and Inspire administrative associates, academic and nonacademic staff’ as well as students to work toward the central purpose of the Village to advance learning and enhance talent.
- He/She will bring to the Council all development programmes relating to the future of the Language Village after they have been discussed at the various Committees and the Academic Board.
- He/She shall be the Chairman of the Academic Board of the Language Village with responsibility for formulating and continuously evaluating the academic programmes and research policy of the Village.
- The Director shall exercise general supervision over the Language Village and shall have a general responsibility to the Council for maintaining and promoting the efficiency and good order of the Language Village, and it shall be his/her duty to see that the provisions of the Act establishing the Language Village and the Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations are observed.
- He/she shall by virtue of his/her office, be a member of the Council, where he/she is the The source of information on the state of affairs of the Language Village
Qualifications and Experience
The candidate for this position is expected to be an internationally distinguished Arabic Linguist with the following qualifications and attributes:
- Possession of a Ph.D Degree in Arabic Language from a reputable University as well as having been a full Professor of Arabic in a reputable University for at least eight (8) years.
- Ability to generate funds for the Language Village beyond the basic Government funding
- Having clear vision for further development of the Language Village into a world class Centre of Excellence in Arabic Language, as well as ability to provide quality leadership and leadership by examples; and
- Belief in accountability justice and fairness.
- Evidence of distinguished Arabic Language research accomplishments characterized by consistent and sustained publications of high level research articles in reputable international journals and/or research books/monographs by reputable international publishers including at least two such articles or one book in the last five years
- Ability and resolve to provide the type of leadership that will enable the Language Village achieve its mandate outlined in above
- Extensive cognate administrative experience
Tenure of Appointment
- The tenure of appointment for this Office is as enshrined in the enabling Act of the Language Village, i.e. a single term of five (5) years and no more.
Salary and Fringe Benefits
- The salary and fringe benefits for this position is the same with that of a Vice Chancellor of a Federal University in Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send fifteen (15) copies each of:
- Letter of Application containing details of qualifications and experience for the position
- Updated Curriculum Vitae with list of three (3) Referees,
- Relevant Credentials/Certificates available or claims of qualifications made under item 3 above.
Applications should be addressed and sent to:
Nigeria Arabic Language Village, Ngala,
Liaison Office, Opposite Nakowa Specialist Hospital, Lagos Street,
PMB 2002, Unimaid,
Maiduguri, Borno State,
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 25th September, 2019.