Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, and wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Assistant
Location: Mubi, Adamawa
Contract type: National contract
- The Protection Assistant, under the supervision of the Protection Team Leader is responsible for the day to day implementation of the various protection activities in the field locations under his/her responsibility
- This includes conduct Protection Monitoring, referrals and follow up of referrals, (including establishing referral pathways), identification of IPA beneficiaries and follow up of cases, psychosocial support activities, monitor the protection incentive workers’ work and manage them on a daily basis.
- The Protection Assistant will also be responsible for supporting needs and programmatic assessments, supporting the preparation of activity and protection reports and analysis (information collection, community consultations etc.), identifying and communicating protection concerns in his/her locations, identifying and communicating programmatic needs in targeted locations, supporting the protection Officer in providing capacity building to key stakeholders, and in collecting and managing project data ensuring the highest standards of data and information protection and confidentiality.
- Ensure the organization and the implementation of all protection activities at field level in accordance with the agreed workplan (under the supervision of the Protection Team Leader and Manager) and the international standards
- Ensure the management of the field protection incentive workers (team and work management)
- Prepare necessary activity and protection reports (weekly, monthly, ad hoc)
- Participate in conducting needs and programmatic assessments in targeted locations
- Conduct community meetings, FGDs and other direct community activities as part of protection monitoring.
- Document all protection activities on Kobo.
- Carry out any delegated activities as assigned by DRC management at the field level including supervision of field bases.
- Manage DRC protection assets assigned to the field of operation.
- Liaise with security officers in DRC to keep up to date on security situation of the field base at all times.
- Support protection coordinator, manager with itinerary planning for field visits including donor visits.
- Provide detailed updates of activities within your designated field site.
- Identify and intervene on protection cases in the camps and host communities with technical support from their line manager.
- Refer protection cases to partner agencies and seek solicit services for them.
- Ensure all protection activities and cases re individually documented, filed and up to date in Kobo.
- Engage with communities directly and create awareness on human rights, child protection, SGBV and other protection related topics
- Train community members, partner staff and other local authorities on protection topics
- Identify protection trends and bring this to the attention of the line manager for action planning
- Carry out advocacy and sensitization activities at the field level
- Represent DRC protection in all partner discussions at the field level
- Participate and actively recruit casual social workers are needed.
- Diploma or B.A./B.Sc. in relevant field (Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, Education, Counselling, Human Rights, Development Studies, etc.)
- Language skills – Hausa, English.
- More than 6 months of work experience in a humanitarian organization / with displacement affected populations or significant experience as a DRC Protection social or outreach worker
- Knowledge of protection norms, principles, and activities
- Excellent communication skills (oral and writing)
- Ability and willingness to maintain regular presence at project sites (remote / field sites) and to work during irregular working hours and in insecure environments
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills – self-motivated individuals, able to take initiative and propose solutions, resilient, positive, and able to work independently.
- Must have basic level computer skills.
- Professional fluency in English and Hausa
- Knowledge of the protection activities
- Knowledge of North East Nigeria States languages including Margi added advantage.
- Availability: ASAP
- Salary and conditions: In accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment;
- The income will be subject to statutory deductions as per applicable Nigeria laws. The employee is responsible for the tax returns.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: “Protection Coordinator”.
- The position is for Nigerian Nationals Only
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Applications sent/received after the deadline will not be considered.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview
Application Deadline 15th September, 2019.