United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We invite applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Clerk
Job ID: 25648
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes. In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in Borno state by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri.
The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme. The sub-office will also comprise an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results. Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager, the Administrative Clerk provides support to administrative services ensuring high quality of work, ensures accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery. The Administrative Clerk promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Clerk works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the CO and other UN agencies staff to ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Provision of administrative and logistical support
- Provision of support to office maintenance and assets management
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Provision of inputs in preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
Provides administrative and logistical support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Receipt of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UNDP shipments (received/sent), arrangements for shipments. Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions, drafting correspondence related to shipments/customs clearance.
- Administrative support to organization of conferences, workshops, retreats.
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys.
- Preparation of routine correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports in accordance with CO SOP.
- Extracting, inputting, copying and filing data from various sources.
- Maintenance of files in Administrative Unit
- Checking vehicle logs and preparation of the draft vehicle history reports and maintenance plans.
- Arrangement of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations.
- Support to staff members and their dependents by processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents in accordance with requirements of the United Nations and national government.
- Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection of information on assets management, maintenance of records and files on assets management.
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office maintenance.
- Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the execution of the CO administrative/logistical services in terms of quality and accuracy of work completed
- Accurate data entry, presentation of information and client-oriented approach strengthens the capacity of the office in the provision of administrative/logistical services.
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties related to general administration support Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation, ATLAS, as required
- Collects and compiles data with speed and accuracy identifying what is relevant and discarding what is not, records it in an accessible manner and maintains data bases
- Thoroughly and methodically collects, verifies and records data demonstrating attention to detail and identifying and correcting errors on own initiative
- Transmits file data; creates and generate queries, reports and documents utilizing databases, spreadsheets, communications and other software packages with speed and accuracy
- Interprets data, draws conclusions and/or identifies patterns which support the work of others
Managing Documents, Correspondence and Reports:
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software
- Shows sound grasp of grammar, spelling and structure in the required language
- Ensures correspondence, reports and documents comply with established UN standards
- Ability to produce accurate and well documented records conforming to the required standard
- Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction
Planning, Organizing and Multi-Tasking:
- Organises and accurately completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships
- Establishes, builds and maintains effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of support
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Plans, coordinates and organises workload while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Demonstrates ability to quickly shift from one task to another to meet multiple support needs
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education or above.
- 4 years of relevant administrative experience
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- The ability to communicate effectively in Kanuri, Hausa, or any other local language spoken in the NE region is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 5th September, 2019.