United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Framework Agreement- Humanitarian Civil-Military Advisor
Additional Category: Crisis Response
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date – (date when the selected candidate is expected to start): 01-Jan-2020
Duration of Initial Contract: Six (6) Months
Expected Duration of Assignment: One (1) year
- A humanitarian crisis persists in the Northeast, which is marked by ongoing conflict. More specific to the Northeast is an ongoing insurgency by Boko Haram which seeks to destabilize governance in the area.
- These ongoing conflicts compromise humanitarian space and frame the situation, which the CMCoord Analyst must seek to navigate to facilitate the humanitarian mandate.
- This is a complex and difficult role, undertaken with significant personal risk.
- Under the direct supervision of the Head of CMCoord with overall direction of the Head of OCHA and working as an integral part of the organization’s Team, the incumbent will be ensuring maximum professionalism and adding capacity in supporting the mandate of OCHA.
- This position is located in the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA Abuja). The Civil–Military Advisor (UN-CMCoord) will be based in Abuja and report to the Head of CMCoord, and UN OCHA Head of Office.
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in International Relations, Political Science, Law, Management, or similar specific field of study; or military academy degree with advanced training in these areas; or equivalent combination of academic background and practical experience in a relevant field.
- Experience: Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible professional field and / or headquarters experience in Civil-Military Coordination or equivalent in United Nations peacekeeping missions.
- Language: Fluency in oral and written English.
- Other skills: Experience in interacting with Armed Forces, completion of UN peacekeeping training courses, ability to work in a high-pressure environment. Previous experience in working with United Nations entities and knowledge of mandates of key humanitarian stakeholders is an
- Knowledge of a range of humanitarian assistance, emergency relief and related human rights issues, including approaches and techniques to address difficult problems.
- Analytical capacity and in particular the ability to analyze and articulate the humanitarian dimension of issues which require a coordinated UN response.
- Ability to identify issues and judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of problems.
- Ability to conduct research, including ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources and assess impact on the humanitarian rights situation in assigned country/area.
- Ability to work under pressure, on occasion in a highly stressful environment (e.g. civil strife, natural disasters and human misery); ability to provide guidance to new/junior staff. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately
- Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors’ language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda;
- supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks
- Allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within limits of delegated authority, the Consultant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Serve as focal point and strong advocate for the humanitarian civil – military dialogue with a focus on liaison and information sharing at Federal Capital level, supporting the humanitarian emergency response and safeguarding the principled humanitarian action.
- Identify, establish and maintain contact with appropriate military counterparts at the Ministry of Defence and Nigerian Armed Forces Headquarters in Abuja on CMCoord issues pertaining to the humanitarian emergency response in North-East Nigeria. Ensure mutual exchange of information about ongoing humanitarian assistance issues, security and advocacy of humanitarian needs.
- Sensitizing and informing appropriate military counterparts at the Ministry of Defence and Nigerian Armed Forces Headquarters on CMCoord principles and concepts, coordination structures and humanitarian outreach requirements in North-East Nigeria ensuring a clear distinction between humanitarian and military actors is maintained at all times.
- Facilitate the process of humanitarian movements by air and road for staff and cargo from a Federal Capital liaison point of view. [working in conjunction with WFP/Logistics Cluster?
- Participate in relevant meetings, seminars, workshops and training events as required.
- Provide inputs for reports, presentations and summaries as required. Conduct briefings as required.
- Any other duties as may be required in support of the OCHA Nigeria Office CMCoord strategy.
Deadline: 6th November, 2019 (Midnight New York, USA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.