Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Accountant
Location: Maidugur, Borno (With Visits To The Field)
Supervisor: Finance And Compliance Manager
Line Reports None
Under the supervision of the Finance and Compliance Manager, the Programme Accountant will be responsible for the following main activities in accordance to national and MdM procedures:
- Cash and Bank Management
- Payroll Management
- General Administration
- Implements and explains MDM financial rules as needed, including Donor rules under guidance of the Finance and Compliance Manager.
- Participates to the yearly budget and revised budget construction with the Finance and Compliance Manager and while seeking involvement from the other departments;
- Support the Finance and Compliance Manager and logistics department in the review of MRs, evaluation grids by ensuring the donor and saga code are completed
- Review all payments requests for completion before they are submitted to Finance and Compliance Manager for payment
- Provide feedback to programme and support staff on the status of their payment requests.
- Ensures the respect of accounting rule set as per MdM standards;
- Supervises the Finance Assistant to make sure they enter invoices & payments data daily into accountancy software (saga) in accordance with MdM standards and to the accountancy and budget framework.
- Supervises the preparation of payment related to the daily operation of the MdM programs, according to MdM procurement procedures (Mission Request, Purchase order, contract, invoices & receipts, quotations, and proformas etc.)
- Checks and complete the filling/stamping of the accountancy documents;
- Ensures the SAGA entries and complete the month-end accountancy closure (printouts, accounting annexes and SAGA books to be sent to the Finance and Compliance Manager
- Prepares the bank statements and reconciliation;
- Supervises the administrative archive on the mission (copies, classify and archive)
- Support during organizational audit.
Cash and Bank Management:
- Lead on the Consolidation of the monthly cash request for the Finance and Compliance Manager with input from different departments
- Works closely with the Logistics Department to ensure the respect of the procurement procedure: checks the administration forms and ensures the proper validation cycle is respected (quotations, evaluation and validation grid, purchase order, delivery note, etc);
- Responsible for the cash advance and for utilities and supplier’s payments and pro-actively follow up on the same;
- Ensures the payment and justification of any per diem and transport for employees sent out on the field
- Controls the bank balance regularly and advises the Finance and Compliance Manager accordingly
- Requests the bank statements to proceed with month-end accountancy closure
- Liaise regularly with the bank to be in line with any change of process or requirements.
National Human Resource Administration and Recruitment:
- Register and arrange for payment of all charges after the approval of the Finance and Compliance Manager, and on a timely basis to the relevant state authorities (PAYE tax, Pension fund tax, Housing Fund tax, and NSITF tax)
- Prepares the payrolls and payment of salaries and all deductions. Calculates overtime and leave to ensure accurate payments to all MDM staff using time sheets for validation
- Using the attendance sheets, and under validation of the Programme Coordinator/Advisors, calculate and pay the incentives as per the determined time-table.
- Support Finance and Compliance Manager to Follow-up on any change of policy in the Nigerian legislation on an ad-hoc basis, when information on changes in legislation is available
- Organizes archiving and filing of all HR and administrative documents;
- Communicates the different policies applicable in the office to the rest of staff and ensures they are respected;
- Prepare a summary of weekly activities
- At the request of the Finance and Compliance Manager, participate in the preparation of financial and donors’ reports.
- Participate in a pro-active way to the improvement of the MdM policies and procedure (general, admin, security…)
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem
- Perform other additional duties on request of the Finance and Compliance Manager
- Independently identify areas of work within the department that require support, and carry out the same.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or comparable Degree
- 2 years progressive experience in a similar role
- Fluent in English and Hausa. Knowledge of Kanuri would be an added advantage
- Experience with NGO required.
- Experience with Saga will be an asset.
Job Title: Finance and Compliance Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Context of the Mission
- Violence in the northeast has caused massive displacement and at the same time restricted movement: it has disrupted food supplies, seriously hindered access to basic services, and limited agricultural activities. In seven years of conflict, over 20,000 people have been killed in Boko Haram-related incidents
- The entire population of northeast Nigeria – 24.5 million people – is indirectly affected. People affected by violence in Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe, and neighbouring Bauchi, Taraba, and Gombe states are in urgent need of protection, shelter, food, and access to health services and education
- Since February 2016, as humanitarian access is increasing, extreme food insecurity and malnutrition conditions have been revealed in Borno state.
- As of 3rd August, 1.82 million people are estimated to be displaced within/from of Borno state, from which 1.63 million actually stayed within the state. Most of them (more than 1.2m) are living in Maiduguri with the host community and others in formal and informal camps.
- As Finance and compliance Manager, you will support the Finance Coordinator in managing budget of an approx. 4 million € yearly budget involving 3 institutional donors funding the Nigeria mission, managed from Maiduguri, from 2 different hubs.
Your main responsibilities are:
- Relation with partner;
- You will work under the direct supervision of the Finance Coordinator based in Maiduguri
- You will ensure proper information sharing with the different members of the Nigeria Coordination.
You will directly supervise:
- 1 Finance Officer and 1 Finance Assistant staff based in Maiduguri
You will be the technical referent for the following staff:
- Finance and Administration Officer based in Damboa
- Partners’ administration or finance staffs
Focus on the 3 priority activities relative to the context of the mission:
- The FFU is updated every month and The FFU meeting is done every month at field level
- The Finance team is trained and autonomous on his functions
- Monthly accountancy is submitted to HQ by 15th of every month
- Assist Oversee Nigeria Coordination accounting and finance functions
- Ensure that Nigeria Coordination Administrative, Accountancy and cash flow procedures, tools and software are used in the missions
- Ensure that expenses are justified according to MdM France and donor’s procedures
- Assist to ensure that all administrative documents are properly filed and archived
- Assist Supervise the accountancy closure, and ensure deadline are respected
- integrate the new donor contracts into the financial management of the mission’s projects
- Assist manage the Budget Follow-up (BFU) and provide financial information and analysis to the Finance Coordinators within the mission budget cycle
- Take part in the development of the reference budget together with the Finance Coordinator and in the construction of the annual budgetary frame.
- Take part in donor’s visit with the Finance Coordinator and to present the updated budget and analysis.
- Assist in preparing financial reports to donors
- Ensure that expenditures for budgets, grants and contracts are monitored and the reports are prepared to maintain balance account
- Train the mission’s senior staff in how to use the Budget Follow up
- Daily management of the safe, and of needed transfers with cash box or change operations
- Supervise of safe movements in SAGA and update of compliant supporting documents
- Elaborate monthly cash requests with the team for the program and support services; and communicate to the Finance coordinator
- Ensure cash security rules for the mission are implemented and that MdM-France procedures and tools are being used for cash flow management (bank account, safe, cash box, advances);
- Ensure the transfer of funding for the Nigeria Mission
- Develop cash flow projections for funded and support activities
- Follow up and ensure advances are closed at end of each month
- Participate internal/external audits and reviews as required to ensure compliance with MdM France procedures and donor’s requirements
- Effectively stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations including match/co-financing rules; compile and update applicable local policies; and train program and partner staff in these policies
- Assist develop and maintain local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial matters
Relation with Partners:
- Effectively stay abreast of the MoUs between MdM France and partners for the finance chapters
- Review and monitor partners financial reporting and compliance. Provide additional assistance with the Finance team to partners when required
- Train, support and build administrations capacities of implementing partner staff in compliance with MdM France Procedures, in close coordination with the Finance Coordinator
- Ensure that monthly financial reports from partners are respecting MdM France procedures
- Create a sustainable work environment of mutual respect that attracts motivated, skilled and effective team members and enables them individually and collectively to strive to achieve excellence.
- Train the Finance officer and Admin assistants based in Maiduguri and log admin based in Damboa
- Contribute to country team-building efforts; build constructive internal relationships; help team members identify problem solving options and ensure integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Liaise and work in close coordination with Finance Coordinator, when required
- S/he ensures an efficient circulation of information to field and capital teams
- S/he drafts or participates in the drafting of internal activity reports for everything dealing with financial, budgetary, issues for the mission.
- S/he ensures proper finance coordination at mission level by regular visits to the bases, controls, monitoring, training, etc
- Ensure proper archiving of financial contracts and correspondence with donors
- Support Finance Coordinator in relationships with the administrative authorities at the national level
This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Hierarchical & Functional links:
- The Deputy Financial Coordinator is under direct responsibility of the Finance Coordinator
- S/he supports and ensures close relation between the finance teams involved in Nigeria mission
Background of the Candidate
- Sex: indifferent
- Humanitarian experience: Yes
- Nationality: No preference
- Emergency experience: Yes
- Coordination experience: Yes
- English: Fluent
- Computer skills
- Excellent excel skills
- French: Added value.
- Experience of 4-5 years minimum in a similar position
- Experience in negotiations and relations with partners in a moving and difficult legal, administrative and political context
- Excellent computer skills
- Experience in multi-donors’ budgets and multi-countries grants
- Training and capacity-building experience
- Knowledge of Saga is an asset
Personal Skills Required:
- Ability to work under a minimum of supervision, autonomous
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
- Organisational skills, rigor, detail oriented
- Ability to classify and to manage priorities
- Listening and diplomacy skills
- Team spirit
- Ability to work in unstable and volatile context
Deadline: 30th October, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org Clearly indicate “Programme Accountant” as the subject of their application.
- Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated.
- Because of the emergency relief nature of MDM’s work, working hours may be irregular, and employees are expected to be flexible in their approach to working hours under emergency conditions.
- Medecins du Monde France is a French humanitarian organization, involved in emergency programs in Nigeria.
- The employee shall respect Medecins du Monde France’s schedule and Terms and Conditions of Employment for National Staff and is expected to be available anytime in order to answer to an emergency situation and be flexible and available beyond normal working hours if requested.