The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Business Development Coordinator
- IITA is currently seeking applications from qualified candidates for the USAID-funded Feed-the-Future Nigeria Integrated Agriculture Activity. The main goal of the Activity is to improve food security, increase agricultural incomes and improve resilience among smallholder farmers and their families in target LGAs in Adamawa and Borno States.
- To achieve this goal the Activity will focus upon three objectives:
- Increased availability and timely access to quality agricultural inputs, and improved capacity of public and private extension providers to provide effective agricultural extension and advisory services to smallholder farmers;
- Strengthened market linkages along agricultural value chains resulting in increased income among farmers and improved nutrition status of households among consumers; and
- Increased engagement among youth, women and the most vulnerable in agriculture and commercial agribusiness.
- The project’s primary beneficiaries include individuals and communities affected by the Boko Haram and Islamic State in West Africa conflict (i.e. IDPs, host families, and communities, and those who stayed behind).The activity will be implemented by IITA with Activity Offices in Yola (Adamawa State) and Biu (Borno State) in close collaboration with the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), Catholic Relief Services (CRS), national agricultural research and extension systems and private sector partners.
- The State Business Coordinator reports to the Market Systems and Livelihood Specialist.
- Lead and manage several components interventions and ensure that they effectively deliver against the activity’s agreed target outputs and outcomes.
- Conceptualize, design, co-implement and monitor results of interventions.
- Work with consultants to write sector strategy brief, intervention justification and logic as well as concept note and workplan, following the project management principles.
- Identify potential partners and engage in client relationship and stakeholder management for achievement of intervention target and results.
- Develop appropriate Terms of References for studies, surveys and activities related to interventions managed.
- Identify and recommend consultants for various tasks to line management for approval to undertake such tasks.
- Supervise the outsourced tasks and ensure the desired output from task.
- Provide leadership, guidance, mentoring and coaching.
- Delegate tasks where necessary and ensure that the overall success of intervention is facilitated.
- Design communication and awareness plans for interventions managed in collaboration with partners and stakeholders to stimulate awareness.
- Disseminate outcomes of interventions to stakeholders.
- Master’s or higher Degree in Agriculture, Economics, Business Administration, or any related fields from a highly recognized university. Professional qualification in a related field will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years relevant professional experience performing similar role in an agricultural research institution.
- Strong ability to identify, develop and secure new business opportunities by generating leads, maintaining client relationships, and coordinating promotional activities.
- High business intelligence and strong commercial leadership skills.
- Excellent communication, leadership, mentoring, management, interpersonal, team building and negotiation skills.
- Proactively makes efforts to acquire additional contracts over and above the usual assigned targets either by capturing the established market and expanding the market.
- Ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to communicate in one or more of northern Nigeria’s major languages is an advantage
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word and Power Point).
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including national and local government, donors, community-based organizations, and the private sector.
- Hands-on experience and good knowledge of market research and studies.
- Experience in developing project budgets and workplans.
- Good project management and implementation skills.
- The initial appointment is for two years
- IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Deadline: 29th October 2019.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application. Applications must include Covering Letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, Curriculum Vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work).The application should be addressed to the Head of Human Resources.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.