Terre des hommes (Tdh) is leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum. Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection and Education sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Reproductive Health and Nutrition Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Reporting to the Deputy Health & Nutrition Manager, the Reproductive Health Team Leader is responsible for the management and implementation of reproductive health activities and the management of reproductive health assistants in the project. This position is based in Mafa Central working in a medical hub a shift pattern which includes night shifts.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Clinical management of pregnant and lactating women including during childbirth.
- Training and supervision of TBAs and CHEWs.
- Team management:
- Manage and Supervise their team with the support of the Line manager
- Train his/her team members to use and maintain the available tools correctly
- Enforce safety procedures
- Welcome and brief new employees or volunteers working under her/his responsibility
- Participate in Professional Evaluation
- Able to recognise their limit and refer patients to appropriate specialist care when necessary.
- Prescribe and administer medications.
- Support mothers and their families in the overall care of their newborn babies in communities.
- Any other related duties as directed by technical or other supervisors.
Reporting / communication:
- Under the supervision of the line manager, redact activity reports
- Participate in meetings, seminars and training workshops useful to the accomplishment of activities and the attainment of project objectives
- Report to the line manager on the evolution of activities and specific tasks assigned, problems encountered, quality of relations with beneficiaries and the involvement of communities
- Remain in touch with the population and local authorities to understand needs, complaints, and major events that may have an impact Tdh’s community activities, and in terms of operations and perceptions
- Raise any queries or difficulties related to Tdh’s activities or security issues
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations.
- Always promote and implement high hygiene standards including universal precautions.
- Integrity/Commitment to Tdh’s child focused Programming.
- Self-Management/Emotional Intelligence.
- Communicating ideas and information sharing / continuous learning.
- Commitment to Excellence
- Working in Teams.
- Fostering Innovation and Empowerment especially for vulnerable people.
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times.
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are not exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project needs.
- A Registered Nurse/Midwife.
- A minimum of four years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the humanitarian field or a closely related field.
- Initiation of treatment for women requiring medical intervention including triage of gynae emergencies.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures.
- Excellent soft skills and the ability to work with people from different backgrounds in a caring manner.
- Flexible and adaptable
- Basic knowledge of standard computer software applications and information technology including electronic communication.
- Maintenance of drug and fluid therapy in accordance with agreed Patient Group Directions.
- Initiation of treatment for children requiring medical intervention for common childhood illness, including triage of malnutrition.
- Understanding of fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline (Duty of candor and duty of care).
- Required qualities: organized, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills
- Desirable: proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
- To have a valid driving license is an asset.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken), Hausa and Kanuri
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Ensure to attach their updated CV, Motivation Letter in a single file on or before
- Due to the Emergency situation in the Northeast Nigeria, applications will be processed on a rolling basis and Position could be filled before the expiration of advert.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted for further steps of the recruitment.
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- This position is open to Nigerian national only.
Application Deadline 19th October 2019.