54gene was founded in 2019 by Dr. Abasi Ene-Obong to address the significant gap in the global genomics market; Nearly 90% of genetic material used in pharmaceutical research is Caucasian. Only 2% is African, despite the fact that Africans and people of African ancestry are more genetically diverse than all other world populations combined.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Molecular Genetics Scientist
- We are seeking highly-motivated and enthusiastic individuals to join our team in the 54gene molecular genetics laboratory. Candidates must be willing to join a fast-paced environment, be willing to learn quickly, adapt to new environments and must have a keen interest in molecular genetics research and related activities. Candidates must also be willing to travel as required.
- Perform laboratory procedures following SOP’s, including DNA/RNA/protein extraction from biological samples, RT-PCR and qPCR analyses, genotyping, microarray analyses, etc.
- Supervise junior members of laboratory team
- Present experimental data at team meetings, national and international conferences on a regular basis
- Evaluate new technologies to enhance or complement current research
- Collect, inventory and bank biological samples in repository, according to laboratory guidelines
- Coordinate procurement of laboratory consumables
- Maintain accurate laboratory records
- Participate in training programmes relevant to laboratory practices
- Essential: Master of Science Degree in Molecular Biology/Genetics or related subject
- Desirable: Ph.D. In Molecular Biology, Genetics or related subject
Skills and Qualifications:
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) or equivalent
- Good oral presentation skills
- Authorship and/or co-authorship of research publications
- Supervision of laboratory staff/interns and processes
- Experience within-silico biology, computational biology, biostatistics or bioinformatics is desirable but not essential.
- 3 – 5 years of genetics/genomics research/molecular biology laboratory experience
- Presentation of posters and talks at national and international conferences
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply