Health+Solve Limited – Our client, a 137 bed specialist Hospital and Medic-care Centre located in Otukpo, Benue State is currently recruiting for qualified, motivated and experienced professionals to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Department (Obstetrics and Gynaecology)
Unit / Dept.: Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Reporting To: Chief Medical Director
Responsible For: All members of the Obstetrics & Gynaecology Dept.
- To provide, in consultation with other colleagues, appropriate services & interventions in Obstetrics & Gynaecology to patients of the Hospital & Medi-care Centre.
- Focusing on the daily oversight of the Department, the Department Head will play an integral role in the Management Team of the Hospital, serving as a mentor and subject matter expert, training medical officers, midwives and other colleagues.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To manage, lead & coordinate the personnel and efficient operations of the Hospital’s OB/GYN Department.
- Monitor and treat patients during pregnancy and childbirth, including prenatal advising up to delivery and postnatal care; occasionally in collaboration with a midwife.
- Counsel patients on safe sex, Family Planning and preventative medicine practices.
- Work in close co-operation with and support other clinical & medical professionals and colleagues across the Organization to provide patients with high quality surgical care and services of the highest standard.
- Take assigned GYN & OB calls per Hospital/Department guidelines.
- Undertake all work in accordance with contractual requirements and the Hospital’s standard operating procedures and policies.
- Perform and/or direct the Hospital’s OB/GYN Staff to perform a variety of patient examinations, medical interventions and/or procedures including interviewing new patients to assess their symptoms, needs, or problems and the conduct of wellness exams e.g. pap smears, pelvic and breast exams.
- Record and utilize patients’ medical history for diagnosis; order and analyze necessary tests, screenings, biopsies, scans, etc. to effectively diagnose health problems.
- Communicate examination/requested test results to patients’ families’ or primary physician(s) through written reports, emails or verbally, either by phone or in person.
- Maintain detailed and accurate patient records via the Hospital’s Patients’ Records system(s).
- Participate in departmental consultant and senior staff meetings; attend other departmental and management meetings as required.
- Collaborate with Management in the efficient running of the Hospital’s OB/GYN Department services and the Hospital in general.
Quality and Standards:
- Develop and introduce approved standards and guidelines for the Hospital’s OB/GYN services and programs.
- Develop and maintain good work practices for the Department and the Hospital in general.
- Establish, maintain & actively promote the establishment of quality-related goals and Departmental compliance to Organizational and professional standards of conduct and practice.
- Promptly address, resolve and/or escalate where necessary all complaints and concerns about the Department.
- Provide medical information from the OB/GYN Department’s experiences for the development of systems to support the Organization’s service delivery quality and standards.
- Work actively to reduce unintended harm to patients.
- Consistently exercise a general duty of care for the health, safety and wellbeing of work colleagues, visitors and patients and oneself.
People Management & Personal Development:
- In conjunction with the HR Department, recruit and engage qualified personnel to fill available job openings in the Department as they arise.
- Actively contribute to the training & development of departmental staff and colleagues when required.
- Be responsible, with management support, for own personal development by attending accredited conferences and meetings to update one’s clinical knowledge, coaching and management skills in line with CME requirements.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- MBBS/MBBCH from a recognized institution; plus, a minimum of 8 years’ robust post-certification practice in Obstetrics & Gynaecology. Valid Medical Practice Licence.
- Post Graduate Studies Must be a Fellow of the West African College of Surgeons, NPMCN or it’s foreign equivalent in the relevant specialization(s).
- Clinical experience and knowledge of running a sub-specialty service would be an added advantage.
- Knowledgeable and familiar with risk management & quality control procedures.
Personal Attributes & Physical Demands:
- Ethical & Professional, with a strong sense of integrity
- Detail and Result Oriented
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- Reliable, Responsive and Emotionally Intelligent; Empathetic
- Must be able to multi-task; capable of handling several issues at the same time to deliver results and meet desired deadlines
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: email@example.com using the “Job title” as subject of the email.