Medecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. MdM operating in Nigeria, Borno state since October 2016.
We are recruiting to to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Logistics Officer, Construction
- Under the direct supervision of Logistics Coordinator, the Construction/Maintenance Officer will serve as the infrastructure focal point for the Medecins Du Monde Nigeria Mission.
- S/he will work alongside existing Programs and will be responsible for the general infrastructure construction, maintenance and repair activities of the Mission.
- The Construction/Maintenance Officer will ensure that all construction, maintenance and repair at existing and new health facilities are carried out efficiently.
- Additionally, s/he will manage minor repairs and small-scale superstructure maintenance including the rehabilitation of all MDM office and guest house premises.
- Visit each MDM supported project sites at least twice per quarter to assess infrastructure needs.
- Oversee the development of accurate and detailed Statement of Work (SOW)
- Prepare Bill of Quantities (BOQ), carry out technical assessments with specifications, dimension and interpret technical drawings, blue prints etc. and advice MDM as appropriate.
- Work closely with program teams to address infrastructure needs at all MDM managed health facilities in Maiduguri and Damboa
- Develop practical logistics systems to support MDM program staff infrastructure needs.
- Organize the contracting of construction services in adherence with MDM logistics policies and procedures.
- Ensure that maintenance and renovation activities are of a high-quality and carried out in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all people working on field sites in particular; local and technical contractors etc. are trained and supervised in the use and care of materials and equipment.
- Develop and roll out records system to track inventory of all construction supplies.
- Ensures coherent and timely ordering of materials and equipment required
- Work on timely preparation and accurate submission of monthly reports and data required for all construction and maintenance activities for the Nigeria Mission
- Perform other duties as required to maximize program outcomes.
- Training and capacity building of the Facility assist.
- Show and train the purchase how to choose good construction item
- Reinforce and train Deputy Log base on construction/rehabilitation skills
- Keep accurate and up-to date record of infrastructure conditions at all supported construction sites, including record of work already done and work to be done in the future.
- Submit a monthly report to the Logistics Coordinator
- Work closely and in a supportive manner with MDM Program staff members
- Work closely with supply team of Log depart on purchase and contract procedure
Qualifications and Competence/Skills
- Degree or Technical Diploma in Construction Engineering
- Minimum 3 years progressive experience in similar field
- Computer Literacy
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills
- NGO experience (preferred)
Key working Relationships:
- Health Coordinator, Medical Supervisors, Technical Advisors
- Program Teams
- MoH and PHCs
- Be flexible in performing his/her duties
- Perform other additional duties on request of the country representative and Base Logistician Manager
- Inform immediately the security focal point in case of any security problem
Job Title: Health Coordinator
- MdM is currently implementing an emergency response program in Borno state. The program is implemented around the main components: improving access to primary health care, nutrition treatment (severe acute malnutrition), gender-based violence survivors’ treatment, mental health and psychological support.
- In 2019, MdM will run directly 4 clinics (3 in Maiduguri, 1 in Damboa), support 2 Ministry of Health PHCC. MdM has also developed internal capacities to respond to new emergencies (mainly displacements of population as well as outbreaks).
- MdM has its coordination office in Maiduguri and a sub office in Damboa.
- The Health Coordinator is responsible for the implementation of quality services in the field. Under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator, the HC manages the operational and technical aspects of the implementation of the full package of medical services (Primary Health Care, Nutrition, GBV, MHPSS) in the different operational sites.
Supervision of MdM clinics and medical services:
- Ensure smooth organization of services on daily basis.
- Ensure that a proper patient flow is implemented and respecting confidentiality.
- Ensure that a proper communication and an integrated approach patient-centred are implemented within all services available.
- Ensure that following-up regarding drugs and consumption is implemented and collaboration in place to promote respect of protocols, especially linked with prescription.
- Support regular data collection and provide analysis of those data.
- Ensure quality of services by requesting the technical support of the Quality Assurance Unit (technical advisors).
Supervision of health awareness and promotion:
- Based on the needs and camps realities, define messages to be disseminated.
- With the support of the community outreach supervisor, define the health awareness / promotion approach to be implemented.
- Ensure that communities have a good understanding about MdM services.
- Promote the inclusion and active participation of communities (and their leaders) in the dissemination of the messages.
- Ensure quality of health awareness / promotion activities by requesting the support of the IEC
- Technical advisor.
Organisation of the referrals:
- Maintain a good collaboration with the University Teaching Hospital (UTH) as well as other partners with whom we work in terms of referrals (ex: MSF, WHO…), with support of program co.
- Ensure the smooth implementation of the MOU with the UTH and the medical team (knowledge and application of referral criteria, use of appropriate tools).
- Ensure that referrals are organized in appropriate conditions.
- Ensure that a proper follow up of patients referred at the UTH is done.
- Make sure data regarding referral are available and provide analysis.
- Ensure the good coordination of her/his team, tasks delegation of her / his team to ensure the smooth running of the activities and good information sharing.
- Ensure timely flow of information within her / his team and the other departments.
- Ensure that medical and paramedics staff of Clinics respect their assigned tasks.
- Provide strong leadership to ensure Clinic staff understand and work according to MdM principles.
- Make sure tools developed at country level are known and implemented (SOPs, sensitization material…).
- Ensure the staff selection, recruitment, disciplinary and grievance procedures of her / his team.
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures. Define training needs, submit and/or organize training for the medical team in link with Health Services Quality department and Program Coordinator.
- Responsible for capacity building and training of her / his team.
- Ensure and respect communication lines of the organizational chart / or Make sure that communication line among her / his team is respected.
Participate in reporting activities and coordination:
- Prepare a weekly activity report to submit to Program Coordinator.
- Compile epidemiological reports for inclusion in medical reports or any other relevant reports.
- Participate in MdM internal meetings (general coordination, medical, security…).
- Attend to external medical meetings upon Program Coordinator request.
- Actively coordinate with other humanitarian actors working in the same camps to promote synergies.
Finance and Logistics:
- Ensure all procurements required for the good implementation of activities in the clinics are submitted to the logistics department on time and are followed up.
- As budget holder, monitor closely all budget lines related to clinics activities, ensure that her /his budget is well respect, and express to Program Co any issues.
- Actively participate to the update of the budget forecast based on planning of activities, to make sure that financial resources are available on time.
This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
Hierarchical and Functional links:
- The Health Coordinator is under the direct supervision of the Program Coordinator.
- S/he manages directly the head of medical supervisors (Maiduguri), clinic medical supervisors, community outreach supervisor, referral nurses, roving midwifes.
- S/he work in close collaboration (functional links) with the Deputy Health Co in Damboa, pharmacist coordinator, M&E supervisor, the Health Services Quality Coordinator and his team of technical advisors, and the Emergency Response Coordinator, as well as finance / HR / log coordinators.
Background of the Candidate
- Sex Indifferent Humanitarian experience – Yes
- Nationality Indifferent Emergency experience – Yes
- Coordination experience Preferably
- Language English Fluent Computer skills Windows environment
- Hausa An asset Driving licence – No
- French – An asset.
Deadline: 26th November, 2019
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one single attachment via email to: email@example.com clearly indicate “Senior Logistics Officer Construction” as the subject of your application.