Norwegian Church Aid (‘NCA’) is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene. NCA has its strengths in works and invest in local partners ensures building their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them to have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Human Resource Officer
Location: MMC, Borno with some travels to deep-field locations
Department / Sector: Operations
Reporting to: HR/Admin Coordinator
Start date: January 2, 2020 or earlier
- The Human Resources Officer will provide Human Resource operational support to the HR/Admin Coordinator in the areas of Human resource management for the NCA.
- Responsible for personnel support, file management, recruitment and selection processes, verification of certificates, reference and background check, payroll administration and general HR matters concerning NCA and staff.
- Ensure that all relevant sectors and units conduct robust induction of new staff to the Country office
- Ensure that all new hires settle in as quickly as possible. Work closely with managers to assign mentors to new hires
- Raise PRs in a timely manner for HR welfare packages
- Ensure comprehensive and constructive probationary period reviews are completed on time by sending frequent reminders and updates to line managers
- Follow up all changes to staff contracts (including changes to job descriptions and job titles, contract extensions and terminations).
- Liaise with relevant supervisors to ensure staff exit procedures are followed, this includes ensuring de-briefs are conducted by line managers/supervisors for staff leaving the organization (including end dates, outstanding leave, money and assets owed to programme returned), ensure that all necessary clearances are finalized.
- Contribute to the development and improvement of innovative and flexible personnel policy and practice
- Ensure staff compliance with HR policies and deal with infringements with support from the HR/Admin coordinator
Recruitment of staff:
- Identify appropriate channels for new position adverts and support in attracting the best personnel
- Liaise with Government agencies on recruitment and statutory regulations
- Responsible for the drafting of all contracts, ensure all reference and background checks are done
- Ensure that national staff are recruited in a timely manner following internal procedures and guidelines
- Support managers in longlisting and interviews
- Participating on interview panel for certain positions
- Ensure compliance with recruitment processes and maintain comprehensive records of all interview processes
- Create personnel file for each hire
- Maintain accurate and up-to–date personnel records on all staff
- Ensure that all documents in the staff files are complete and in line with the HR personnel file checklist
- Update staff files regularly with all necessary correspondences
- Ensure that staff files are closed and maintained properly when staff exit the organization
- Ensure that documents in staff files for staff that have exited the organization are destroyed in accordance to the provisions of the GDPR
Coordination and representation:
- Timely payroll preparation every month.
- Preparation of all attachments for the statutory deductions
- Requisitioning for payment and eventual remittance of the statutory deductions to the relevant statutory bodies within the timelines
- Support review of national staff salaries as may be required
- HMO management ensuring that staff receive quality health care from the health provider by acting as a liaison between the organization and the HMO
- Official communication to staff on various matters public holidays, information from management, recruitment etc.
- 3 years’ experience in HR or similar position
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to build relationships across different groups of people.
- Proven adaptability and stamina in demanding situations.
- An interest in and ability to grasp the complexity of different HR situations, policies and practice and communicate this well to staff.
- Ability to work on your own initiative as well as in collaboration with others.
- Fluency in English.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office
- B.Sc. in any relevant course
- Experience of establishing and updating personnel systems for an Organization
- Experience of recruiting, interviewing and selecting staff.
- Excellent communication skills, able to communicate with sensitivity, discretion and respect for confidentiality.
- Familiarity with general legal employment concepts
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
Deadline: 27th November, 2019; (Time: 12:00PM)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply online
- Ensure to attach updated CV, Cover Letter in a single file
- Due to the Emergency situation in the Northeast Nigeria, applications will be processed on a rolling basis and Position could be filled before the expiration of advert.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted for further steps of the recruitment.
- This position is open to Nigerian nationals only.