The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Research Associate, TORs – Plantain and Banana Improvement Programme
Location: Ibadan, Oyo
Contract: National (2-year renewable contract)
Application Start Date: 2020-03-02
Job Type: Fixed term – Renewable
Successful candidates will among other things perform the following duties:
- Assist plantain/banana breeders in planning and implementing laboratory and field research activities for the breeding programme and manage the breeding database;
- Supervise germplasm multiplication and distribution activities for the programme; Keep track of hybrids being used worldwide and organise feed back
- Plan and ensure procurement of supplies for laboratory, field, and screen house activities, oversee hiring and supervision of casual labour for various operations while maintaining strict control of budget expenditures;
- Supervise junior staff and assist in annual performance appraisals;
- Assist graduate students on their research projects and trainees/interns as required;
- Assist the IITA plantain breeder with reporting to donors;
- Supervise field/laboratory research activities across plantain breeding and trial sites, breeding operations including field preparation and layout, field management, pollinations, and data collection;
- Be responsible for updating and maintaining trial records and pedigree records on banana breeding database (MUSABASE) and backstop plantain breeding staff on digital data entry and use of applicable software; and liaise with the banana breeding team in East Africa
- Assist in designing experiments, collating data, running statistical analysis (ANOVAS for comparing genotype performance for single location and multi-environment trials), conduct literature search and prepare good quality reports;
- Perform all other related duties that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- M.Sc in Plant Breeding, Crop Production, Agronomy, or related discipline with a strong background in genetics, computer science/data management and/or statistics and proven skills in reporting.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience performing similar functions or related roles in an agricultural research organization or equivalent experience is desired.
The ideal candidate must:
- Possess excellent computer skills in MS-Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and strong knowledge in experimental design and use of statistical analysis packages;
- Have excellent writing and oral communication skills in English.
- Be well organized and work effectively in a team, able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, implement protocols, troubleshoot and train subordinates.
- *Experience in database management and use of statistical analysis software (particularly R) would be considered as an advantage.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format, The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates
Application Deadline 28th February, 2020.