Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income-generating activities, and a wide range of other assistance. It is of utmost importance for DRC to work in compliance with the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system and national legislations. Smooth, reliable and effective operational systems are preconditions for DRC to maintain its position as a trustworthy and reliable partner for our donors and an accountable organisation towards our beneficiaries.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: DDG Advisor – Humanitarian Mine Action
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract type: Consultant
- Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Humanitarian Mine Action Advisor to support the capacity building of Police EOD Officers by delivering EOD training in North-East Nigeria.
About the Job
DRC/DDG’s overall objective in Nigeria is to promote stability and resilience among those affected by displacement in northeastern Nigeria, in particular in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states. To achieve this, DRC / DDG is focusing its programming on three main priorities:
- Enhancing community safety, conflict mediation and security sector governance; and
- Reducing the risks associated with mines, Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) and IED.
- Addressing the needs of youth at risk of dangerous migration, criminality and radicalization;
The Overall Purpose of the Role
- Under the overall supervision of the Technical Field Manager, the responsibility of the EOD instructor is to assist the TFM in all EOD training related matters and to deliver timely and high-quality EOD level 1 and 2 training to Nigeria Police EOD units in North East of the country.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Carry out any other activity related to EOD training as per the guidance of the TFM
- Assist in the planning and the implementation of practical exercises.
- Build effective working relationships with DRC / DDG staff and the Nigeria Police Officers.
- Ensure the safety and security of trainees engaged in EOD training.
- Assist in the preparation of the lessons to be delivered to the Nigeria Police Officers.
- Deliver timely and high-quality lectures during EOD level 1 training to Nigeria Police Officers in accordance with DDG SOPs and IMAS.
- Provide debriefings and report of the EOD course by highlighting both strengths and weaknesses for future learning and adaptation.
To be successful in this role we expect you to have strong leadership skills and capacity to plan and deliver EOD training with strong pedagogy skills. You need to have political and cultural sensitivity, as well as diplomatic, tactful and flexible interpersonal style.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Strong on liaison and networking with police, both on a national and local level.
- A minimum of 3 years of proven recent experience in EOD training
- Proven ability to mentor and coach others.
- Preferably either police or military experience.
- EOD Level 3, ideally EOD 3+ as well as knowledge of IEDD.
- EOD trainer qualified.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to our values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Contract length: 1 Month
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
- Band: G-1
- Designation of Duty Station: Maiduguri, Nigeria. An unaccompanied Duty Station
- Start date: 20/01/2020
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Process / Notice
- All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
- For questions regarding the vacancy please contact Ahmed Hassen, Head of Programme-DDG Nigeria E-mail: email@example.com
Application Deadline 16th January, 2020.