United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant to Coordinate UNDP Component of the UN Joint Programme
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 15-Mar-2020
Duration of Initial Contract: One (1) year
Expected Duration of Assignment: One (1) year Renewable
The UN joint programme on Institutionalizing Social Protection for Accelerated SDG implementation in Nigeria, is a two-year programme targeted to strengthen social protection at the federal level in Nigeria. This programme is borne out of SDGs concept of leave no one behind. The main focus of this programme is the removal of key social exclusion factors mitigating against access and utilization of basic social services by the poor and vulnerable. The programme will therefore focus on addressing and building capacity of duty bearers and right holders to ensure girls and boys, persons living with disabilities and women are properly empowered and protected.
The National Social Protection policy in Nigeria recognizes the need for both a systemic transformation (long-term) and a blueprint for accelerated implementation (short-term) towards universal social protection. The joint programme will strengthen the right-based approach to social protection by supporting the institutionalization and legislation of the social protection system in Nigeria. The joint programme will support the identification and facilitate the adoption of financial strategies to effectively implement the National Social Protection Policy.
The joint programme will guide the establishment and build capacity of state innovation and accelerator SDGs offices with proven track of implemented innovation solutions using social protection for overcoming bottlenecks and expanding financing in order to accelerate SDG achievement.
This joint programme is being implemented by four UN Agencies, United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF), International Labour Organization (ILO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP and World Food Programme (WFP) with each agency having a specific component towards realizing this programme. UNDP is focusing on establishment and build capacity of state SDGs offices to be innovative and accelerate innovative solutions using social protection to overcome bottlenecks and expanding financing in order to accelerate SDG achievement in the state
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives of the Assignment:
- The objective of this assignment is to coordinate the consultations at six states within six geopolitical zones. The consultations will focus on identifying bottlenecks/constraints and innovative solutions (especially low hanging or immediate solutions) as well as innovative financing towards SDG achievement, using social protection as the entry point.
Tasks of the Consultant
The consultant is expected to perform in close collaboration with Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the president on SDGs (OSSAP-SDGs), UNICEF, ILO and WFP the following tasks:
- Assess the six state SDGs offices in the six geopolitical zones and provide recommendations to the state on standard office expectations.
- Assess the progress and the areas each zone is lagging in terms of SDG and social protection implementation. Also assess whether there is enabling environment for SDG and social protection implementation within each zone.
- Coordinate all the consultations in the six geopolitical zones. The consultations will focus on the identifying the challenges each zone is facing and provision of innovative solutions especially quick wins that can be address immediately as well as the innovative financing solutions for the implementation of SDGs and social protection within the zones.
- Provide report for all the consultations held, including the recommendations on the innovative solutions as well as innovative financing towards achieving SDGs and social protection within each zone.
Expected Deliverables/ Outputs
The outputs/deliverables at the end of this assessment work includes:
- The report of the state and zones assessment on the progress and the challenges facing the state and zones.
- The consultations reports including the recommended innovative and financing solutions for each state and zones.
- The Consultant will report to the UNDP Economic Advisor?
Duration Of Assignment
- The duration is expected to be for initial one year with the possibility of renewal for another one year.
Terms of Engagement:
- The entire assignment will be for two years with initial one-year contract; thus, a monthly fee will be paid to the consultant. In addition to an agreed consultancy fee rate, the Consultant will be paid daily subsistence allowance whenever on official travel outside the duty.
Terms of Payment:
- The consultant will be paid a monthly agreed fee upon certification of work.
- Possess excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Have familiarity with statistical tools developed for analysis.
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative skills.
- Excellent spoken and written command of English.
- Experience in working with a group of professionals and excellent team work skills.
- Familiarity with the financial and economic crisis and its possible impacts in Nigeria
- Possess good knowledge of the human development issues and SDGs
- Familiar/ knowledgeable of the peculiarities and development challenges in each zone
- Proven knowledge of Nigerian Economy and socio-economic situation.
Required Skills and Experience
The Consultant should have a strong project coordination background including situation analysis. Specifically, she/he must:
- Possess an advanced university degree preferably a doctoral degree in Social Protection, Economics, Development Studies or any related social science disciplines. Ph.D. would be an added advantage.
- Have at least 10 years post qualification experience in development work as well as experience in leading multidisciplinary teams.
Selection of Candidate
- Selection Criteria?
- Experience implementing similar assignment in the past (50 Marks)
- Upon assessment, only candidates with a total score of 70 marks or above out of 100 marks would be considered to be suitable for the position.
- Only candidates who meet this cut-off mark will be contacted for the next stage of the selection process.
- Educational Qualifications (20 Marks)
- Professional Qualifications and Certifications (30 Marks)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 31st January, 2020; (Midnight New York, USA)