Terre des hommes (Tdh) is leading Swiss organisation for children’s aid. Since 1960, Tdh has helped build a better future for deprived children and their communities, making an impact with innovative and sustainable solutions. Active in more than 45 countries, Tdh works with local and international partners to develop and implement field projects which improve the daily lives of over 3 million children and their relatives, in the domains of health, protection and emergency relief. This engagement is financed by individual and institutional support, with administrative costs kept to a minimum.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash, Child Protection and Education sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Officer (Construction Engineer)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Under the direct supervision of the Logistics Coordinator, the Construction Engineer will be responsible to deliver and accomplish the construction and/or rehabilitation of facilities in compliance with the project’s goals and objectives
- She/he oversees the day to day management and supervision, ensuring the overall efficiency and effectiveness of processes and activities undertaken to achieve timely delivery of infrastructures
- She/he is furthermore accountable for providing technical assistance to the country office team, including inputs to the development of the construction strategies as well as policies for the maintenance of the infrastructures.
Responsibilities & Tasks
(Note: TORs used for deployment might differ), Emphasis of main duties will depend on specific context (including emergency) and priorities at the time of deployment. To be discussed and agreed with supervisor.)
The main responsibilities of the Construction Engineer will include but not limited to the following:
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers.
- Ensure all technical inputs and cost estimates related to the construction components are accurate, timely provided and included in the project proposals and budgets.
- Support the Supply section in all tender exercises for the procurement of construction works
- Take responsibility for overall progress and use of resources.
- Identify and manage risks and initiate corrective action where necessary, so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved.
- Prepare intermediary – final project reports and maintain the relevant project records.
- Coordinate with Operations and programs required activities ensuring proper and timely actions from both TdH and Government’s side.
- Provide overall technical assistance to TdH construction projects, from their planning to their implementation and monitoring.
- Responsible to ensure that effective implementation, monitoring and supervision tools are developed and implemented.
- Responsible to ensure effective quality control systems are in place and contractor and engineering consultancy companies work in compliance with technical specifications and TdH quality standards.
- Ensure a sound handing over of facilities to project requesters and beneficiaries.
- Experience working in complex environments and large infrastructure and/or civil works, particularly in the field of construction technical project documentation development as well as construction supervision;
- Experience in community mobilization/ community monitoring sites, coupled with the ability to address and manage all aspects of monitoring of a construction (legal aspects of positioning, procurement, law and knowledge of construction contracts, construction information technologies, and follow-up).
- Experience in managing and supervising medium to large-scale construction works in the public or private sector.
- Knowledge of procurement, tendering and contracting processes and requirements.
- Excellent and proven experience in dealing with contractors and local partners.
- Working experience in the area of preparation, implementation and monitoring of technical / (re)construction projects; methodological and calculation skills.
- Experience in technical design of high-rise structure is an asset.
- Formal Education: Advanced University Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering, Architecture or other relevant technical area. (This is a MUST)
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience at local and national levels in the relevant field of Construction Engineering, especially in preparation of construction technical documentation.
- Previous experience with an NGO is desirable
- Required qualities: organized, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills
- Desirable: proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
- Must be a Member of Certified Engineering body in Nigeria.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken), Hausa and Kanuri.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 27th March, 2020.
- Please ensure to attach their updated CV, Motivation Letter in a single file
- Applications will be processed on a rolling basis.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted for further steps of the recruitment.
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- This position is open to Nigerian national only.