Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer – Nutrition_Gwoza
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2020/00014
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Position Status: Full time
General Position Summary
- The Nutrition Officer will provide technical oversight for all planned nutrition and related activities that aim at prevention and detection of malnutrition among targeted population. The activities include:
- Promotion/ supporting adoption of recommended maternal and Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) practices,
- Micronutrient Powder distribution among children 6-23 months,
- Community level nutrition screening including the roll out of Mother Led MUAC approach and
- Participate in planned nutrition surveys and assessments.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for monitoring and supervision of the day-to-day implementation of nutrition and related activities and ensure it is in accordance to agreed work plan.
- Participate in nutrition assessment and surveys planned in the catchment area.
- Participate in periodic program monitoring and evaluation activities including baselines, end lines, midterm reviews, lesson learning exercises and compilation of success stories.
- Closely collaborate with other sector teams to ensure an integrated Nutrition approach internally with MC sectors and externally with complementary activities implemented by other nutrition actors.
- Actively participate in area-level nutrition, food security and Health sector meetings.
- Ensure timely submission of quality weekly and monthly nutrition activity reports.
- Support capacity-building activities for field-level nutrition staff including on-job training and supportive supervision.
- Supervise community mobilization and sensitization activities aimed at promoting appropriate Maternal, Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices and appropriate use of distributed micronutrient powder supplements.
- Spearhead the roll out of Mother Led MUAC approach i.e. coordinate with community structures and any other key stakeholder, organize necessary materials/ tools required for the trainings, and lead the training sessions.
- Regularly monitor and ensure that the nutrition team in the field have the necessary tools (i.e. data collection tools, job aids, IEC materials etc.) and supplies required for quality implementation of planned nutrition activities.
- Serve as technical focal person for all field level engagements.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Nutrition Assistants, Nutrition Promoters, Mother support Groups
- Reports Directly to: Field Manager with dotted line to Senior Program Officer – Nutrition.
- Works Directly with: All program teams, Operations, and MC beneficiaries
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition or other related field.
- Microsoft Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word).
- Willing and able to be based within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Professional, good organizational capacity, good human relationships, motivated, flexible, culturally sensitive
- Fluency in Hausa, English and local languages is required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience focused on nutrition/food security, including community mobilization, participatory planning and rural/community development.
- Previous similar experience with International NGO will be an asset.
- Familiarity of the intervention areas
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building.
- He/she will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- The position is based in Gwoza, Borno State.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number on the envelope or in the subject line if sending via email.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- All applications must include the Position Title on the envelope and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position
Application Deadline 8th April, 2020.