Spearfish Security West Africa is the Nigerian registered arm of Spearfish Security Limited, based in Winchester, UK.
Spearfish West Africa works closely with the development sector, managing risk and addressing the wide range of security issues frequently experienced in Nigeria. We provide direct support in the current areas of high risk and specialise in anticipating potential future developments and hot spots. We provide direct management and guidance on accommodation, trip management and contingency plans to help protect international and national staff along with project assets. Our in-country teams provide expert local knowledge, working with clients to find pragmatic security solutions which ensure safety whilst maintaining project delivery. By embedding local security managers within projects, Spearfish is able to implement security operational procedures, advise management, deliver risk reports and liaise with other security agencies and suppliers.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Security Manager
- Spearfish seeks to urgently recruit additional experienced security managers to support a range of Palladium Nigeria projects in NE Nigeria.
- The security managers will provide focused support to specific projects as well as generic support across Palladium activities. One vacany is to be filled immediately and we would be interested in hearing from any security managers available to start work now or within two weeks of selection.
Terms of Reference:
- Location: Nigeria (100%)
- Supervisor: Deputy Security Manager
- Purpose: Provide support to Spearfish Client (Palladium) in Nigeria
- Duration: Six (6) months renewable
- Starting Date: 1st May 2020.
Overview of Approach by the Security Risk Management Team (SRMT) for The Palladium Group:
- To ensure a comprehensive and tailored risk management system for the Palladium portfolio in Nigeria.
Be consultative, flexible & inclusive in decision-making:
- The SRMT recognizes the importance of working closely with the widely different Palladium programmes in Nigeria.
- Therefore, the security profile that will support the implementation of project deliverables will not only keep Palladium staff, project partners and beneficiaries safe and secure, but will also be based on inputs from all involved to ensure a collaborative, flexible & inclusive approach.
Conduct pre-emptive risk management and mitigation:
- The goal of the security team is to never have to escalate to an interventionist approach.
- The team will continuously monitor (actively & passively) the program areas & regions of intervention.
- Constant & consistent risk rating evaluations with the corresponding safety & security elements of over-watch will limit risk and exposure as much as possible while endevouring to ensure project delivery & implementation at all sites and on all levels.
Role and SRMT Integration
- State Security Managers will be based in in one of the North East State capitals and be key in the day-to-day operational management of Palladium project activities occurring in the region.
- He/She will be responsible for working with respective project management teams to deliver security guidance and to ensure that travel management is coordinated.
- These posts are critical additions to SRMT capacity and will provide the detailed and dedicated security focus necessary to support field work in the States.
- He/She will report on a regular basis to the SRMT in Abuja and liaise with other State Security Managers and respective project management teams to coordinate project activities.
Description of the activities:
- The role is considered a “fixed” appointment meaning that the Security Manager would provide safety and security support while being primarily based in a State.
- However, significant travel, both within the State and the wider region should be expected.
- Provide safety and risk management advice and guidance pertaining to the State.
- Collaborate with programmes to ensure oversight of security related issues on current and planned operations and movements in the State and the wider region.
Safety and Security Assessments:
- Conduct safety and security assessments as required/requested.
- Provide Safety and Security briefings to Palladium staff.
- Coordinate & collaborate with Security elements in Nigeria and specifically in the State.
- Produce risk and threat assessments for the State.
- Produce Building and Accommodation assessments.
- Build and maintain an updated list of intelligence & information contacts & details.
- Assist in production of any client requested safety and risk management documentation.
- Produce situation reports, alerts and trend analysis pertaining to the State.
- Collaborate with the Security Liaison Officers of other Palladium projects working in the State.
- Oversee quality assurance & compliance of Occupational Health & Safety aspects as outlined in client contract.
- Collaborate with Security Coordinator to deliver Programme Safety and Security Focal Point capacity building.
- Any other reasonable tasks as determined by the Senior Security Manager.
- Indigene of North East Nigeria.
- Hausa/Kanuri speaker.
- Educated with a high standard of writing and numerical skills.
- Able to present matters concisely and coherently in both spoken and written English
- Experience in security and context analysis in Northern Nigeria.
- Demonstrable problem-solving skillset.
- Politically and culturally aware and sensitive.
- Effective relationship builder
- Patience and strong character.
- Able to cope with stress and work in an unstable context.
- Willing to be based in the North East.
- Knowledge of the context and the recent history of the region.
- Demonstrable team/personnel management experience/skills.
- Demonstrable IT knowledge and skills compulsory (Microsoft Office 365 suite, word processing, etc.)
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team (with both expat and national staff)
- Adaptability, flexibility and diplomacy.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Has undertaken recent security work in the North.
- Previous security experience with INGOs in Northern Nigeria.
- Certified Security qualifications.
- Previous military or police experience.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their written Application, along with full CV and references by email to: SWA-Admin@spear-fish.com Please put the post applied for, your availability for immediate start and your name in CAPITALS in the subject bar.
Important Information / Notice
- Please do not apply if you are unable to meet the first two essential skills.
- Please put the post applied for, your availability for immediate start and your name IN CAPITALS in the subject bar.
- Shortlisted candidates can expect to be invited for interview during the week beginning “27th April 2020”.
- Due to the expected high number of applications, it will not be possible to respond to all applicants. So if you have not heard from us by Friday 01 May, please accept that you have been sifted out during the selection process
Application Deadline 24th April, 2020.