Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition – Deputy Project Manager
Location: Monguno, Borno
Contract Start Date: 01st May, 2020
Contract Duration: 3 months (with possible extension)
Open to: Nigeria Nationals Only (Male/Female)
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care and nutrition for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri Metropolitan Council (MMC).
- The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori II, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project.
- In mid-2018, PUI has developed its comprehensive response by adding Protection and Community Outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori II. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received door to door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community. This opening in Monguno allowed PUI to reach the vulnerable population in Kukawa and Kroskawa LGA.
- Under the supervision of the Nutrition Project Manager, the Deputy Nutrition Project Manager shall ensure the overall support and direct supervision of the teams working in PUI project sites in Bolori II.
- S/he will work closely with the Nutrition Project Manager in planning, organizing, implementing and monitoring of agreed nutrition project activities in line with PUI and Donor guidelines.
Responsiblities and Tasks
Implementation and Monitoring of Nutrition Project:
- Ensure that beneficiaries and local populations understand the project objectives and participate actively in their implementation
- Ensure the proper organization and functioning of the project teams, and ensure compliance with goals defined in the project proposal
- Notably, Follow up the performance indicators defined, reports on progress to his/her immediate supervisor (Nutrition PM), indicate difficulties encountered in project implementation, and propose improvements or reorganization based on needs
- Ensure that the teams are following up proper implementation protocols, and applying them according to international and national recommendations and guidelines
- Ensure the implementation of monitoring and/or evaluations, according to the defined needs of the project
- In close collaboration with the Nutrition Project Manager, Participate in activities related to country nutrition program strategy, especially considering the quality of activities, the technical choices to be made, and reporting obligations
- In collaboration with the Nutrition Project Manager, Contribute to the elaboration of proposals
- With the support of Nutrition Project Manager, ensure smooth implementation of IYCF and CMAM activities integrated with Food Security and Protection sectors according to the work plans, national and international guidelines. This will include supervision and support of the functions of the Community Outreach Workers and health facility staffs
- Actively support functional referral system from identification of malnutrition cases from different sources including community, health posts and other partners operating in the area, to treatment and follow up of project beneficiaries
- Ensure that members of his/her teams and CNMs as the case may be, are provided with safety gear adapted to their activities
- Alert the Field Coordinator without delay, in case of impending danger to teams or beneficiaries
- Participate in identifying nutrition-related needs in coordination with the Nutrition PM, Deputy Field Coordinator, and the Medical Coordinator
- Supervise and foster functional referral system of beneficiaries within PUI project sites and partners’ designated health facilities
- Assist in planning of activities and ensure that activities are met in timely manner. In the event of serious delays in project implementation, immediately inform Nutrition PM and propose solutions to remedy the situation
- When required, Participate in needs assessments in relation to project needs
- Assist in capacity building, including archiving the documents, tools and training materials in the context of project and ensure the availability of the verification sources mentioned in the project documents
- Familiarize with PUI Internal Rules and Procedure for the mission, and ensure that they are known and respected by each member of the nutrition project
- Familiarize with nutrition team job profiles, have them endorsed by the enrolled staff, and participate actively in the hiring process (candidates interviewing, testing, etc.).
- Follow up plans and organize capacity building and trainings in collaboration with the Nutrition PM
- Plan, organize and follow up the weekly/ monthly implementation of the action plan, after being endorsed by the Nutrition PM
- Solve team conflicts, if any occurs among the team
- Conduct appraisals every six months for the staffs under his/her supervision
Monitoring And Reporting:
- Participate in follow-up and analysis of data related to nutrition activities in collaboration with the Nutrition PM, Nutrition Advisor and Medical Coordinator
- Prepare information needed for the Nutrition sector reporting for submission to the Nutrition Project Manager
- Support and monitor coordination mechanisms specific to the nutrition team and ensures proper supervision of its implementation
- Ensure the security rules in the field are respected, the safety of the field officers is guaranteed and the regular communication with the security focal person is maintained
- With the support of the Nutrition Project Manager and MEAL team, participate in the development and review of tools for data management when necessary
- Coordinate with the Nutrition project Manager in addressing any relevant issues related to the project implementation
Logistical and Administrative Support for the Nutrition Program:
- Work closely with other departments (Maiduguri base Pharmacy and Logistics) for ideal storage and use of nutrition supplies (consumables and operation equipment)
- Monitor and address needs for routine medications, therapeutic and supplementary supplies and operational equipment to the Nutrition PM, in line with available budgets;
- Contribute to the analysis of procurement bids for purchases of project items with technical specifications
- On a monthly basis, Provide the Nutrition PM with information necessary for the development of cash flow estimates specific to nutrition project activities
- In coordination with the Nutrition PM and Logistic Department, assist in other logistical components of his/her program (delivery, distribution, on-site storage, etc.)
- In coordination with the Nutrition PM, Logistics Department and Base Pharmacist, ensure appropriate supply plan, on weekly basis principle, for each PUI Nutrition sites under her/his designation
- Communicate to the Logistic Department on a weekly basis his/her needs related to vehicles and communication equipment for the implementation of program
Internal and external coordination:
- When required, Represent PUI before local actors involved in the implementation of nutrition project, and contribute to good relations within project partners
- In the event of visits from Donors, Participates actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of the visit
- Draft the internal and external reports to his/her immediate supervisor (Nutrition PM) or/and the Nutrition Advisor or Medical Coordinator or other PUI Program Managers as required
- In agreement with the Nutrition PM, attend relevant meetings and participate actively
NB: The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department
- Quality implementation of CMAM and IYCF programs according to global and National guidelines
- Quality data management and reporting of CMAM and IYCF activities
- Support the integrated approach through effective referral within the nutrition components and with the other programs internally
- Build the capacity of the nutrition team on thematic areas related to nutrition
- Language skills: Fluent in Englishand Hausa, Kanuri is an asset
- Education degree: A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Public Health and in a field related to Nutrition and or training/courses specific to Nutrition and Health in emergency contexts
- Work experience: At least 3 years of progressive work experience in the Nutrition sector, or 6 months a similar role as Nutrition Deputy Project Manager with an INGO
Knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrated understanding of the MOH systems and structure
- Previous experience in food distribution is an asset.
- Previous experience in Humanitarian assessment, monitoring and evaluation is an asset
- Computer Skills: Proficient user of MS office (including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Strong understanding of the political situation in the area
- Team management
- Stress management and flexibility
- Have excellent organization skills, attention to detail, time management and ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Have strong capacity to represent PUI and sustain relations with partners
- Diplomacy and problem solving
- Capacity to mobilize community
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 21st April, 2020.