At the time of this writing, Netflix is the world’s leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies on your favorite device. Netflix lets you download movies and TV shows to its app and watch offline.
If you download videos from Netflix, you won’t need an internet connection to watch the video, making it the perfect option for long trips, and other places that might require you to be entertained with little or no internet connection while on the go.
Downloading select TV shows and movies on the Netflix app to watch offline later does not count towards the limit of how many screens you can watch on at the same time. Downloaded titles are only available on the device on which they are downloaded.
To download movies from Netflix, you’ll need a few things:
- An internet connection.
- An active Netflix subscription; you can’t keep a download on your device if you cancel your subscription.
- A device that supports Netflix (A phone or tablet running Android 4.4.2 and above, or an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch running iOS 9.0 and above, or an Amazon Fire tablet running Fire OS 4.0 and above, or an Amazon Fire tablet running Fire OS 4.0 and above, or a tablet or computer running Windows 10 Version 1607 (Anniversary Update) and above.)
- A movie or TV show that has a download option.
Note that Netflix video download is not supported on computer browsers.
How to download a movie or TV episode on Netflix
Netflix offers two quality levels for downloads: Standard and High. Standard uses less space on your device and allows you to download content more quickly, whereas High (high definition video) takes a bit more space and patience. Which one you’ll want to use will depend on how much free space you have on your device, and what kind of device you’re using. Standard mode may look fine on your phone, for instance, whereas a higher resolution (High) may be preferable for your tablet or laptop.
To choose, select the menu icon on the left and scroll down to App Settings. From there, under the Downloads heading, click or tap Video Quality and select your preferred quality.
Not all of the shows and movies on Netflix are available for download, and that’s because the networks that own them have requested they be left off the list. However, Netflix as a network, offers up all its original content for download.
Follow the steps below to get started with downloading movies from Netflix.
Downloading movies From Netflix on iOS, Android and Windows
Generally, the download process is mostly the same for all devices:
- Launch the Netflix app on your device and sign into your account if you’re not already signed in.
- Tap the menu button in the upper-left corner. It looks like three horizontal lines.
- Tap Available for Download.
- Find the movie, TV show, or an entire season of TV that you want to download.
- Tap the show or movie that you want to download.
- Tap the download button next to the movie or episode that you want to download (looks like an arrow). If it’s a TV show, you have to download one episode at a time.
- When the download begins, a progress wheel replaces the download button and a status bar appears at the bottom.
- When the download is complete, you can download other media or watch the movie/TV show.
Once you’ve watched the movie or TV show, or if you didn’t watch it and just want to remove it to free up some space on your device, tap the Download icon, then tap Delete Download.
Downloading Netflix movies on Mac
Unlike the iPad, downloading Netflix to a Mac device is a bit harder since Netflix doesn’t support downloading and offline watching on Mac. The closest you can get to downloading Netflix TV shows and movies to a Mac basically requires recording the video. To do that, you’ll need software that can record the screen of your Mac as you stream Netflix. You can then save that recording and watch it offline later.
There are some obvious downsides to this, of course:
- It’s pirating content, which is illegal.
- It’s inconvenient, as you have to play the entire length of the video to save a copy.
- The quality of the video will vary based on the speed of your internet connection.
In short, trying to download Netflix to a Mac probably isn’t the best idea.
Is there a limit to how many titles I can download?
You can currently store a maximum of 100 titles on a single device at any given time. Attempts to store more than 100 titles will result in an error. The number of titles you can download is also dependent upon the available storage space on your device. Not all devices are able to store 100 downloads.
Is there a limit to how many times a title can be downloaded?
Yes, some titles can only be downloaded a limited number of times per year due to licensing rights for those titles. If you try to download a title after it has reached its yearly limit you will receive an error message that you’ve reached the limit.
Is there a limit to how many devices I can have downloads on?
Depending on your streaming plan, you can have one, two, or four devices with downloaded titles on them at any given time. If you have downloads on the maximum number of devices for your streaming plan, you will need to delete all downloads from at least one device before being able to download on a new device.
Will I be notified when a download is about to expire?
After you download a title to your device, you have a limited amount of time to watch it before it expires. Titles that are expiring from your device in less than 7 days will display the amount of time you have left . When a title you have downloaded is no longer available on Netflix, the download will expire and you will not be able to play it. See our Help Center for more information on why downloads expire and how to renew downloads.
Can I still watch my downloads if I close my account?
No. Once your account is closed, any downloaded titles will no longer be available to watch.