There are several ways to install Windows 10 on your PC. This might be because you want to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8, install a new operating system from scratch, or reinstall a fresh version of Windows 10.
How to upgrade to Windows 10
The Microsoft upgrade tool enables you to install Windows 10 and directly upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1. You can also revert to the old Windows if you don’t like the new one.
The tool you use will download the Windows 10 installation files and begin the installation process.
How to perform a clean installation of Windows 10
- To do a clean installation of Windows 10, visit the Microsoft’s Download Windows page and click “Download Tool Now”
- Then run the downloaded file. Select “Create installation media for another PC”
- Select the language, edition, and architecture you want to install of Windows 10, install with a 64-bit CPU for a 64-bit version and a 32-bit CPU, for a 32-bit version.
- For a virtual machine, select the “ISO file” on the setup page. This will automatically download an ISO file
- After successfully booting the installation media, select your language, time and currency format, and keyboard layout. Then click “Next” to continue.
- At the installer screen, select “Install Now” and follow the instructions to install Windows 10 on your PC.
- When you reach the Activate Windows screen, you’ll need to either enter a key or skip it. You may not see this screen if Windows 10 automatically detects a key associated with your PC’s hardware.
- At the “Which type of installation do you want?” screen, click “Custom” to perform a clean installation and remove everything on your PC. (If you’ve changed your mind and want to upgrade your existing installation, you can click “Upgrade”.)
- Next, select the hard drive you want to install Windows on and erase it. If you have multiple partitions on that drive, you may want to erase those as well.
- After erasing partitions, you should have a big block of “Unallocated Space”. Select that, click “New”, and once it’s formatted your drive, click Next.
- Windows will automatically install itself. During this process it may restart itself several times