What is the job description of a Bricklayer? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Bricklayer? What does a Bricklayer do?
Job Description of a Bricklayer
Bricklayers are skilled craftsmen responsible for constructing brickwork by laying bricks using the correct mortar mixture. They are knowledgeable in the different types of bricks available and how to construct or repair walls in accordance with industry standards.
Bricklayer Duties and Responsibilities
Bricklayer job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Read blueprints or drawings to calculate materials needed
- Mix mortar or grout and spread it onto a slab or foundation
- Lay bricks, blocks, or stones according to plans
- Construct corners with a corner pole or by building a corner pyramid
- Ensure that a structure is perfectly vertical and horizontal, using a plumb bob and level
- Clean and polish surfaces with hand or power tools
- Clean excess mortar with trowels and other hand tools
- Fill expansion joints with the appropriate caulking materials
- Lay out patterns or foundations using a straightedge
- Break or cut bricks, stones, or blocks to their appropriate size
Bricklayer Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Bricklayer job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- High school diploma or Senior Secondary certificate.
- Industry experience on a construction site.
- Knowledge of materials, methods and the tools involved in bricklaying and the construction of buildings.
- Problem-solving ability.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Physically fit and able to stand for long periods.
- Ability to lift heavy objects.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Bricklayer starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Bricklayer job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs.
Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Bricklayer may also reference it in preparation for the interview.