What is the job description of a Clothing / Textile Technologist? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Clothing / Textile Technologist? What does a Clothing / Textile Technologist do?
Job Description of a Clothing / Textile Technologist
Clothing and textile technologists are responsible for all aspects of the design, development, manufacture and/or quality control of natural and synthetic yarns, fabrics and textiles. Employers of clothing and textile technologists include manufacturers of industrial textiles, small textile companies, retailers, research and development organizations and clothing manufacturers.
Fabric Technologists work with a variety of materials including man-made and natural textiles, leather, fur, plastics and metals. They may be responsible for working on fabrics for furnishings, clothing, household items or medical supplies, or textiles for use within the automotive industry.
Clothing / Textile Technologist Duties and Responsibilities
Clothing / Textile Technologist job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Keeping up-to-date with trends and innovations.
- Producing samples;
- Amending designs where necessary;
- Problem solving;
- Dealing with customer queries and complaints;
- Dyeing and printing textiles;
- Evaluating, identifying and selecting fabrics/products from suppliers;
- Ensuring that products meet set requirements and specifications (eg colour fastness, durability etc.);
- Providing technical advice to/liaising with design, marketing, purchasing and production staff;
- Creating products in response to given briefs;
- Checking products for suitability and testing for performance under various conditions;
- Controlling production and quality standards
Textile Technologist Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Clothing / Textile Technologist job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- A degree or a Higher National Diploma (HND) in clothing and textiles technology or materials and polymer sciences.
- A postgraduate textiles/clothing qualification can be helpful
- Industrial experience
- A good knowledge of fabric and materials
- Commercial awareness
- Interpersonal skills
- The ability to work well in teams
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Clothing / Textile Technologist starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Clothing / Textile Technologist job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs.
Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Clothing / Textile Technologist may also reference it in preparation for the interview.