What is the job description of a Journalist? What are the duties and responsibilities of a Journalist? What does a Journalist do?
Job Description of a Journalist
A Journalist is a professional responsible for reporting the news. Journalists research, document, write, and present the news in an honest, ethical, and unbiased way. In addition to investigating and reporting on current events, Journalists also work on articles and features that update and influence public opinion.
Journalist Duties and Responsibilities
Journalist job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Conduct research to uncover interesting and significant news
- Gather, corroborate and interpret data
- Interview key persons (witnesses, sources etc.) to obtain more information
- Use findings to construct a well-written article
- Retain awareness of the readers’ point of view
- Obtain first-hand information by being present in happenings
- Receive assignments or investigate news leads/tips
- Comply with the moral code of the profession
- Maintain notes and audio recordings
- Partner with other journalists, editors, producers etc
- Establish contacts and sources for use in future research
- Keep abreast on developments by studying papers, attending events etc.
Journalist Requirements / Skills / Qualifications
Journalist job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, English or relevant field.
- Working experience as a journalist or reporter.
- Capable of maintaining an ethical and objective standard in reporting.
- Ability to meet deadlines and accurately fact-check information.
- Excellent observation and judgment skills.
- Superb communication and networking skills, along with an aptitude to effectively extract information.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Journalist starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Journalist job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs.
Job seekers interviewing for the role of a Journalist may also reference it in preparation for the interview.