FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to
improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven
solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education,
environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth,
research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to
address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more
than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently
seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Country Director
FHI 360 is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Director III
Job ID: 16648
Area: Program Management
- Provides leadership and management oversight for a portfolio of
programs and research at the country level. Over sees operations, leads
and manages teams of various sizes, and is the primary company
representative for the country
- Ensures strong collaboration with local government,
international donors and sponsors, and civil society partners. Interacts
with other sectors to integrate and manage work plans, budgets, and
- Implements evidence based interventions in one or more
multi-sector areas, as well as new technologies and practices. Oversees
project implementation that requires the use of the Operational Model
- Serves as Project Director or COP on designated projects
For Nigeria Specifically:
- The Country Director will be the Representative for FHI 360
activity at the country level. S/he will be responsible for direct
supervision of COPs and Project Directors, as shall be assigned and
updated yearly, and the primary point of contact for Business
development. Coordinates closely with FHI 360 Affiliate, AHNI
- Manages Country Office (CO) development and implementation
process of a company’s services involving departmental or
cross-functional teams focused on the delivery of new or existing
- Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the Country Office.
- Oversees the CO shared services platform
- The shared services in Nigeria include the following departments/units:
- Human resources, procurement, contracts management services
(CMS), finance, enterprise services (facilities, travels/logistics,
storage/warehousing, communication, utilities, etc.), administration,
information technology (IT), security and compliance
- Coordination with all projects present in Nigeria
- Oversight of all FHI 360 activities
- Planning for office size and staffing changes and ensuring best value to clients/donors of shared services.
- Human resources, procurement, contracts management services
- Provides leadership, ensures quality and oversees all company operations in the Country
- Manages project portfolio as detailed above
- Responsible for overall vision of Nigeria Portfolio including projects managed by other COPs (SIDHAS, Global)
- Over sees operation functions of Country Office/sub offices,
including within the areas of management, finance, contracts and grants,
security, legal and human resources to ensure the office and projects
managed within the office are compliant with company policies and
- Ensures technical oversight and quality assurance for projects
in which the Country Director is also designated project Director and/or
COP or coordinates with primary technical supervisor within the
appropriate sector(s) to ensure this technical oversight and support
- Coordinates a matrixed management approach to capacity building,
support and oversight of shared services staff, and program/technical
staff in specifically designated projects.
- Provides operational support to global or regional projects with
systems, skills and resources to ensure the quality of the country
- Develops and monitors landscape analysis, strategic plans,
proposals, protocols, papers, reports, and budget to achieve project and
- Manages staff with training and operational procedures to achieve strategic goals of the project and the company.
- Ensures talent development and teambuilding
- Establishes, serves and maintains partnerships with internal and external stakeholders on project matters
- Ensures a harmonized enterprise services platform at the country level
- Determination of job level is based on combination of primary
and secondary criteria (i.e. Revenue, Headcount, and number of
contracts/sub awards and other factors).
- Prepares and monitors approved budgets for shared services and Country managed projects.
- Approves all expenditures relating to G&A budgets.
- Provides technical assistance through review or writing of
proposals, protocols, papers, reports to ensure accuracy and
- Recruits, orients and supervises (Department/unit Directors) to
support country programs and ensure the completion of technical,
programmatic, financial, and resource development needs are met and
- Provides supportive guidance and supervision to Technical and
Program staff, and Managers who are charged to implement programs within
the assigned area of expertise.
- Collaborates with Operations and cross functional groups on
matters concerning staff development that leverages international staff
to mentor local staff, so as to maintain project accountability and
scale in the short term and fast track capacity building for the long
- As chief of safety and security for FHI360 operations in the
country, ensures security and safety of all FHI360 operations, staff,
consultants and related assets in the country.
- Provides direction to the overall leadership and management team
in Nigeria, in particular as regards strategic program direction,
managed growth and compliance with organization policies and procedures
and donor regulations.
- Manages, implements, and monitors systems, services, and staff
for shared services, within project budgets to achieve financial,
administrative and programmatic goals.
- Provides timely and accurate financial and programmatic reports to company management and donors as required.
Possible Deliverables or GOALS:
- Development of Strategic approach for Nigeria
- Manage shared services to harmonize operations and approaches in Nigeria
- Recommend structural changes in supervision for shared services to BU director
- Help identify a transition plan for changes in lines of
supervision, and taking into account SIDHAS staffing. This should
include “Missing” positions within SIDHAS and outside.
- Work with BU director, COP of SIDHAS to help identify positions that can be funded by SIDHAS or other new projects.
- Spearheading business development in Nigeria, including
collaboration and resource mobilization of staff to work on proposals in
coordination and consultation with COPs
- Broadening potential partners knowledge of FHI 360 as an expert implementer of projects outside of health
- Central point of contact with Sectors for new opportunities in Nigeria
- Work with HQ to develop approaches suited to Nigeria – in
particular as regards pricing, and making strategic cases for using
company funds when absolutely necessary
- Chief of security and safety for all FHI360 staff working in or visiting Nigeria
Applied Knowledge & Skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices in project management, process development and execution
- Excellent and demonstrated public relations, policy, representation, and diplomacy skills required
- Ability to speak the country’s language
- Ability to build positive local working relationships with local
communities, district/state/national government officials, UN and other
multilateral bodies and donor representatives.
- Deep knowledge of FHI 360 budgeting, financial management, human resources and compliance policies
- Ability to analyze and establish effective and supportive cross-
program coordination, organizational procedures, and management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills to
strategize, plan and manage resources for successful completion of
- Ability to motivate, influence and collaborate with others
Problem Solving & Impact
- Decisions and actions have a significant impact on management and operations.
- Problems encountered are moderate to complex and highly varied.
- Exercises judgment to meet business strategies and develops objectives that align with organizational goals.
- Sets goals, objectives, timelines and budgets for projects under
his/her management and leads coordination with other
projects/departments in achieving strategic goals for the country.
- Leads coordination of resources for ongoing program/projects across functional areas and addresses/ resolves issues.
- Oversees project implementation for projects under his/her portfolio
- Oversees shared services for entire country office
- Typically reports to a Regional Director
Technology to be Used:
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell
phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
- Greater than 25%
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5-50 lbs
- Master’s Degree or its international equivalent
- Knowledge/Information Services, Communications, Education,
Environment/Health, Behavioral, Life/Social Sciences, International
Development, Human Development or Related field.
- Certification in Project Management.
- Qualification in Humanitarian action and/or Project Cycle Management and/or Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Typically requires a minimum of 12 years with project management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in sector specific and multi sector project management and implementation.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English; fluent in host country language.
- Experience operating in challenging environments
- Experience working in a non- governmental organization (NGO).
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and managing complex projects
that are strategic in nature and national/international in scope
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply