Job Description Examples
A job description is the official written statement that describes the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, and reporting relationships of a particular job position. A good job description helps you hire the best candidates and set clear expectations with your employees at the outset of their employment about what is expected of them.
Whether used for hiring or conducting a performance review, a good job description performs a number of important functions:
- It specifies the duties and responsibilities of the job position;
- It describes the skills and competencies that are needed to perform the role;
- It defines where the job fits within the overall company hierarchy;
- It is used as the basis for the employment contract; and
- It is a valuable performance management tool.
Be very specific when writing roles and responsibilities because job descriptions guide personnel actions, including hiring and firing. For your reference, take a look at our sample job descriptions below, to help you model job descriptions specific to your company.