Aerospace Engineer job description should contain a variety of functions and roles including:
- Using mathematics, scientific, and engineering principles to design, repair, and improve air and spacecraft, component parts, facilities, materials, safety regulations, and manufacturing processes.
- Researching and analyzing information to develop designs and solve problems.
- Testing aircraft, rockets, and spacecraft to find and correct potential problems and to ensure compliance with quality, safety, and functionality requirements.
- Coordinating activities with production, research, testing, and other departments to optimize safety and efficiency.
- Developing safety and quality standards, budgets, and timelines and ensuring projects comply with these regulations.
- Writing design proposals, reports, manuals, and other technical documents.
- Designing and assembling control panels, propulsion systems, guiding systems, computer systems, and other necessary parts and systems.
- Reviewing, developing, and improving production methods, facilities, and safety regulations.
- Assisting with special projects or providing technical advice.
- Staying current on industry developments, technology, materials, trends, and regulations.
Aerospace Engineer job description should include these common skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering for entry level positions, Master’s degree preferred for advancement or work in research or education.
- Professional Engineer license may be desired.
- Excellent research, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication, project management and planning skills.
- Proficiency with computers.
- Ability to develop and adhere to budgets and timelines.
- Some positions may require security clearance.
- Experience is a major plus.
- Strong understanding of materials, mathematics, science, thermodynamics, mechanics, robotics, aerodynamics, production methods, and potential safety and functionality problems and solutions.
As a hiring manager, recruiting an ideal Aerospace Engineer starts with crafting a good job description. Use this Aerospace Engineer job description template to save yourself time and help you attract the most qualified candidates. Feel free to revise it to meet your specific needs.
Job seekers interviewing for the role of an Aerospace Engineer may also reference it in preparation for the interview.